Chapter 14

When she got to the airport, Eve was escorted onto the private jet before she was whizzed off to New Mexico. There, she was driven to a secure location that had S.H.I.E.L.D members and agents crawling all over it. She felt very much out of place there, but she couldn't really do anything about that.

So, she just stayed quiet and behaved herself until she was taken to Agent Coulson. When she was, she was relieved to have a familiar face around. "Agent Coulson," She greeted, shaking his hand with her gloved one. Phil glanced at the glove for a moment before he shook her hand back. "Nice to see you again."

"Ms. Porter." Phil greeted back.

"So," Eve began. "What am I here for?"

"We're having technological errors happening," Phil replied, leading Eve to one of the computer stations. "Something keeps interfering with our connection, so it's difficult to keep working or to save our data."

"Right," Eve nodded as she saw the fuzzy and choppy connection on the screen. "Have you tried rebooting the entire system?" She asked as she set her jacket down on the chair next to her. "Perhaps an entire system reboot is all it needs, maybe the equipment isn't used to this kind of terrain." She added as well.

"We've tried that," Phil replied. "Same result."

"Okay," Eve said quietly. "Um, may I?" Eve asked, gesturing to the computer.

"Please," Phil replied. "It's why you're here." Eve sat down on the chair and began her work. First, she tried it with her natural skill, without using her ability. She got it stable for a few moments, and was able to get to the page they were trying to look at.

"If you don't mind my asking, but what is it you're doing here, and what is it that I'm going to be seeing while I'm here?" Eve asked as she worked.

"Unfortunately, I am not at liberty to discuss that with you." Phil replied.

"Hmm," Eve hummed. "Kind of silly to say that, don't you think?" She asked softly. She meant no offense, but considering she was going to be in their system, she could quite easily hack into them and find out for herself. Of course, Eve wasn't about to tell them that, so she decided to go with the innocuous questions.

"What makes you say that?" Phil asked.

"Considering I'm in your system right now, and I'm helping you get all your files back up and running." Eve shrugged. "So, I'm going to be seeing a lot without meaning too, really. I just figured I'd give you a chance to tell me yourself before I accidentally stumble on it on my own."

Phil thought about it for a moment before he realized that she was right. She was going to see most of what they were doing anyway, so he may as well just tell her. "We're investigating a strange object that is emmiting odd signs. We're not sure what it is."

"I see," Eve replied. She almost had the whole system up and running when it fizzed out again. "Damn." Eve muttered. "Okay, uh, this should only take a second or two." She said as she stood up and went to her bag where the sphere was. Placing it on the desk, Eve sat back down and tapped it, which caused a screen to appear. "Hey handsome, need your help with something." Eve greeted.

"How may I be of assistance, Eve?" JARVIS questioned.

"Need you to run a scan real quick." Eve replied.

"You brought Stark tech?" Phil questioned.

"Yeah," Eve replied. "Know of any better tech?" She asked back.

"I told you, we don't want Mr. Stark involved in this."

"And he won't be." Eve replied. "This is one of my own designs, I just used some of Tony's stuff to make it is all. So, technically, it's his tech, but it's mostly mine considering I designed and created it myself."