Fifty-five

I tried to find Mrs Amadi as soon as I came out of Mr Attah's office but I was told she'd gone out for a meeting and wouldn't be back for the rest the day.

I owed her. I owed her big time.

It was amazing how she thought very highly of me to make such fantastic recommendations about me to the big boss. And the funny thing was, she never once mentioned anything about how good I was, or sang my praises to my face.
She never congratulated me for doing a project well, or even scolded me if I messed up any. In fact, I didn't even think she paid any attention to what I was doing.
But I was wrong. All along, she'd been silently observing my works.

I can see now that beneath all that strict face, and austerity, is someone who cares, someone who watches her employees and gives honour to whom honour is due to. My respect for her after this has skyrocketed to another level.

I was heading back to my office when I heard my name being called from behind. I turned around and it was Angel. She probably wants to get the full gist of things.

"What happened in there?" She said as she caught up with me.

When she saw my smile, her eyes shot up. "You weren't. . . He didn't. . .?"

I shook my head.

"Thank God." She sighed a breath of relief. It was like I didn't have to say a word to her and she understood.

"What did he say? What was the meeting all about?"

"It was just my 6 months appraisal," I told her, and she nodded slowly. "He was asking questions about how I've found working here so far, if I'm confident with the job and all that."

"Oh yeah, that's right, it has been 6 months since you've been with us. Thank God it wasn't about that stuff. I was so worried that he was going to fire you or something." She shook her head slightly. "You're one of the good ones here. One of the people that are actually nice to me, so I didn't want to lose you." She admitted. For a moment, a sad look crossed her face.

Every word she said was etched with honesty and sincerity that it surprised me. I didn't know I had this kind of effect on the people I work with.

"Thanks so much, Angel, it means a lot  that you think such way of me." I smiled and rubbed her shoulder slightly. "And yes thank God I'm not going anywhere because eh, I was shitting my pants in there o." I said and she giggled.

"Seriously, I thought I was a goner, and then he mentioned about appraisal and my mind just. . . I just calmed down."

"Oh boy," she said. "It must have been scary."

"You bet it was."

"So did he. . .uh, mention anything about the missing money?"

I knew she was going to bring this up. I weighed my words carefully before speaking.
"Well he didn't really go in depth, he just said they're working hard to find the culprit," I answered her.

"Okay."

"Yeah."

"Did he say anything else?"

"About what?" I looked at her suspiciously.
Did she know about the program?

"I dunno, like anything else."

I pretended to think about it, and then I said, "Not really. Apart from the appraisal, we didn't talk about anything else."

There was absolutely no need for her to know about the program or that I've been selected for it. Imagine the kind of jealousy that would erupt in the minds of everyone if they all knew.