Chapter Fifty

Josh groaned as he rubbed the sleep from his eyes. Matt hadn't woken up, merely stirred in his sleep, and Josh smiled warmly. His eyes widened when he realised it was December 25th, and he got up quickly, rushing out of bed and throwing on his clothes, or whatever was closest to hand. In this case, it was old grey sweats and one of Matt's plaid shirts.  

"Josh." Matt grumbled, with his eyes closed still. "It's like one am. Come back, you're warm." 

"But baby," Josh said as he slid back into bed next to Matt, wrapping his hands around the smaller boy's waist and kissing his forehead. "It's Christmas." 

"Oh fuck." Matt mumbled. "Merry Christmas, babe." 

"Merry Christmas." Josh sighed, kissing Matt properly and then pulling away. "And for the record, it's just gone eight."  

Matt just groaned. "Too early." 

"D'you want some coffee?" Matt nodded, still with his eyes closed. Josh laughed softly and got up again, ignoring Matt's dramatic groan and heading upstairs to the kitchen. 

"Morning, Josh. Merry Christmas." His mom said from behind him, and Josh leant down to kiss her on the cheek. 

"Merry Christmas, mom. Do you want coffee?"  

"Yes please." Debbie spun around as she heard excited screaming from down the hall. Madelyn was running full pelt at the pair, gripping on to Josh's legs like a vice.  

"Uncle Josh! It's Christmas!" She yelled, and Josh laughed. 

"I know, Mads," he said, carefully setting the coffee mugs to the back of the countertop so the young child couldn't get near them. "Did you wake everyone up yet to tell them?" 

"Yeah but they're all still in bed. Where's Uncle Matt?" 

Josh laughed and squatted down so he was face to face with Madelyn. "He's still in bed but I made him a drink so he needs to get up. In fact, I think he needs someone to drag him out of bed. Should we go make him jump?" 

Madelyn pulled a mischievous smile and Debbie laughed as the teenager and the toddler rushed off. 

"Matt!" Josh called down before he let Maddie in. "Are you decent?" 

"Yeah, why?" Matt’s voice was groggy, and Josh smirked as he fully opened the door so he and his niece could run in.  

"Merry Christmas!" The little girl shrieked, and Matt's face was priceless as he jumped. 

"Hi." He said, creasing his brow as the small child began to jump on the bed violently.  

"Uncle Matty, are you awake?" 

"I am now." 

"Okay, good work, Maddie. Now why don't you go find Tux and see if she's up yet?" Maddie nodded and rushed back upstairs, and Josh chuckled as he sat on the bed. Matt sat up, rubbing his eyes and shaking his head.  

"I hate you." He grumbled, and Josh laughed. "I'm joking, of course I don't hate you, but that was so uncalled for." 

Josh pouted in an attempt to look apologetic. "I'm sorry, babe."  

"Did you get my coffee?"  

"It's upstairs." Josh said, laughing again when Matt groaned.  

Josh bit his lip as he leaned forward on the barstool. The extended family had dispersed into the living room, leaving Matt, Josh, and his parents in the kitchen.