My Life with Katniss Everdeen

Author's note: The first few chapters are just about Katniss and what she deals with before she meets Lilly. The story is mainly about Lilly and about her life with Katniss. But there will be P.O.Vs sometimes. But mainly it's just about Lilly's life and seeing it through her eyes.

Katniss's P.O.V.

We (Gale and I) slowly and carefully climbed over the gate. We were going hunting. It was getting late. We were able to get passed the sleeping man on watch. We tried not to rustle through the leaves too much. Gale accidentally tripped on a twig. "Ow!", he started to yelp in pain. "Hmm? Huh?", said the man on guard, looking up. He instantly drifted back off. Gale forcefully bit his tounge. But then he tripped on another twig. "Huh? Who dare goes there?", demanded the guard, starting to wake up. "It's your mommy!", I said, trying to convince the guard to go back to sleep. "What are you doing here, Mommy?", he said. "Checking on you.", I said. "Wait just a minute! Mommy, you don't check on me on Wednesdays, and...... Wait! It's Wednesday!", he said. "I must have drifted off again. Mommy wouldn't even be here. Must've been a dream that helped remind me that I'm guarding the gate.", the man said. He got up and blinked, rubbed his eyes, and looked around. We froze, trying to blend in, not moving so he wouldn't notice us. It would be easy to see us if we moved. "Turn off your flashlight, Gale.", I whispered. But it was too late. He couldn't find the switch on time. The guard noticed us.