pretty much dead already

Aubrey sharpened her knife with her back to the fire and Dale's words replaying in her mind.

She decided he was wrong.

She knew far more about her own dad than some man who only knew him for a few weeks did. Shane would never shoot his best friend on purpose.

"Hey, Bre, are you okay?"

Aubrey looked up from her knife and turned to Carl and Lori's worried expressions. She gave them a fleeting smile as Carl lifted a forkfull of Carol's scrambled eggs to his mouth.

"I'm okay. Just thinking, that's all," she said, putting down the sharpening block and standing up.

She looked out at the house and saw Maggie standing on the porch. When their eyes locked, she shook her head at Aubrey. Aubrey looked away and turned to the group.

"Um, guys, the barn's full of walkers. Just thought you should know," she said, sitting back down and reaching for the block, recoiling when it was kicked out of her reach.

"How long have you known?" Shane demanded sharply.

"Two days."

They all gathered around the closed barn doors, watching Shane peer through a gap in the boards.

"You can not tell me you're alright with this," Shane spat, striding back from the door.

"No, I am not. But we're guests here, this isn't our land," Rick replied, his voice hard.

"We can't just sweep this under the rug," Andrea spoke up.

"It ain't right, not remotely," T-Dog said. Aubrey watched Shane pace.

"We either gotta go in there, we gotta make things right, or we just gotta go. Now we have been talkin' about Fort Benning for a while now-"

"We can't go," Rick interrupted.

"Why, Rick, why?" Shane demanded.

"Cause my daughter is still out there," Carol said.

"Okay," Shane started, putting his hands up to his face and letting out exasperated breaths into his palms.
"Okay, I think it's time for us all to just consider the possibility-"

"Shane, we're not leaving Sophia behind," Rick interrupted again.

"I'm close to finding this girl, I just found her damn doll a few days ago," Daryl snapped.

"You found her doll, Daryl, that's what you did. You found a doll!" Shane said coldly.

"You don't know what the fuck you're talking about!" Daryl rasped.

Rick held out a hand to stop him.

"Hey, look man, I'm saying what needs to be said here! Now if you can't get leads in the first forty-eight hours-"

"Shane! Shane!" Rick attempted to speak over him.

"-then you ain't gonna find 'em. And let me tell you something else, man! If she was alive out there and saw you comin', all roughed out with your buck knife and geek ears around your neck, she'd run in the other direction, man!"

"Shut up, you stupid cop!" Daryl shouted, attempting to leap over Rick.

Their insults jumbled into each other as they all fought to get between them.

"Dad!" Aubrey growled, putting her hands on his chest and pushing him back enough, with help from Lori.

"Keep your hands off me," he snapped, as he stormed off. Aubrey wasn't sure if he was talking to her or Lori.