XLII

-Stella Hart-

-Stella Hart-

We're not fighting.

But we're not exactly not fighting.

We're a handful of days into December and I was starved for his touch. He lips still ghosted across my cheek in the morning and brushed his hand against the small of my back as he let me past him into a classroom. His hand still grazed mine when Lily and I slipped off to bed and he still touched  his fingers to my cheek when I frowned.

But it wasn't enough.

If you give a man dying of starvation the tiniest crumb of food, you're not saving him you're only prolonging his suffering. It's not enough, he's still dying.

We're going ahead with the plan to go to the Department of Mysteries and find our prophecies. Sirius is on board, as much as you can be on board when he hates the plan with a passion but at least he's with us.

"So I think I've figured out how to get into the Ministry of Magic without having to pass through the barrier and send every teacher in this school running after us." James' voice snapped me out of my daze as we moved through the corridors toward charms class.

"Hmmm?" I hummed in response, my eyes automatically flicking to Sirius as they always did when James brought up the plan.

And sure enough, his pace faltered for a second and his whole body tensed, but he kept moving just ahead of me. I wanted to reach out to him, to hold but my hands were still.

"Yeah? How?" Lily asked and James grinned.

"Two words my friends, floo powder."

I turned my head toward James, finally tearing my gaze from Sirius and scrunched my nose in confusion.

"Floo Powder?" Peter echoed.

"Yes. We'll get out using the floo network!" James answered triumphantly.

"Prongs you're forgetting that the only fire place in the castle that is connected to the network is in Dumbledor's office." Remus pointed out but James' grin never faltered.

"No I didn't forget." He shrugged.

"So not only are we breaking into the Department of Mysteries we're also breaking into Dumbledor's office?" Remus asked and James let out a laugh that was 75% confident and 25% nervous.

"Go big or go home right?"

Sirius finally spoke,

"Yeah. Go big then go home in a body bag."

James laughed but Sirius wasn't joking. Once again my eyes were watching the way he raked his hands through his already messy hair, the way his shoulders tensed and the way he clenched his hands into fists. And that's only what I can see, I had no idea what was going on behind those silver eyes.