15. Heart of Mine

Start from the beginning

"You've done such a good job. They add a ray of colours to this dull place." the Commander laughed.

"I've been meaning to ask," Iker spoke, getting to the main reason why he left his duties. "Is there anyone close to the King, someone he might call a friend?"

The Commanders cheery expression changed, his lips pressed into a thin line. "Why the sudden question Iker?"

It hadn't settled how odd the question would strike the Commander. "I was just wondering since the King looked so lonely all the time." It wasn't a complete lie. King Rhett was always alone, in a shell all by himself. He welcomed the loneliness as his only friend.

Commander Amir rubbed his chin while he thought about an answer. Iker intertwined his fingers, hoping to get a starting as to why the man was there. "If I recall correctly, there was someone who was with the king quite a lot. I think his name was Malachi." Iker felt relieved. Now he had to find that person and in hopes of getting answers. "He died some years ago." Commander Amir finished.

-

Prince Cormac was on his way to Area fifteen yet again. He briskly walked through the crowd of people. His eyes picking up on the single shackle that made him fill with disgust that the people of Seridina would bind their own and treat them so lowly. It was amongst the many questions he had to ask Phoenix.

He had decided he wouldn't let himself be pulled away by Phoenix. His answers lied withing the Iron Fortress and it just so happened to hold a boy that had intrigued him. To accomplish his goals before his coronation, he had to learn the truth before he took on the crown.

He kept his head low, apologizing to the people who he bumped into and sent curses his way. Cormac bit hard on his bottom lip. How could his father allow such things to happen in the Kingdom. He always tried to ignore his father's heartless words. Seeing the Kingdom he ruled, proved he wasn't worthy to behold the title of King. 

Cormac removed the rocks that separates him from the inside. The guards were not in sight yet again. He quickly crept through the small hole, piling the bricks back on to each other. No matter how he ventured and saw the same sight over and over, it was something no one could get use to. It reminded him how much change he had to do.

He walked to the house Phoenix lived in. It made the Prince wonder why he was living in a castle with so many rooms that only accumulated dust. They were a waste. Then their was Phoenix, Siobhan and four others that had to settle for one. The small house came in sight, he took a deep breath. Telling himself again that he wasn't going to get distracted.

He lifted the curtain just in time as Phoenix came out. He bumped into Cormac's chest, cursing as he looked up. His angry demeanor faded as he saw it was Cormac, or rather Ace. Cormac smiled at him, looking beyond him to see Siobhan and the four he came to know as Gus, Rebel, Poppy and Rocco.

"You're here again." Phoenix said as he pushed pass Ace, rubbing his nose that collided with him.

"Is that a bad thing?" Cormac asked as he lower the curtain. He frowned as he looked at the back of Phoenix.

"I didn't say it was." Phoenix replied, turning to face Cormac but kept his eyes anywhere but on him. Cormac couldn't help but smile, knowing that Phoenix enjoyed his company. "I'm going to the book house, you could come or just stay here with Siobhan."

Cormac shook his head, "I think I would rather accompany you." he said, already scolding himself for thinking about spending his time here with Phoenix than seeking answers.

Phoenix glanced at him before walking away. Cormac was suddenly pulled back before he could take another step. "Take care of him." Siobhan said.

The walk was a silent one. Cormac kept close to Phoenix who kicked about just every pebble he saw. Phoenix was about an inch shorter than him, long brown hair that was braided, allowing it to fall in his back.

Cormac's hair rested just above his shoulders a darker shade to Phoenix's. There was a pep in Cormac's step for some reason that only happens when he's with Phoenix. He would look over his shoulders often to see if Cormac was still behind him.

Cormac walked to his left, making it easier for him to known he was there. He would ask his questions when  they arrived at the book house.  A series of laughter caught his ears. He looked over his shoulders to see a group of kids playing as they ran in their direction.

Cormac never played like that when he was a kid. That was until Iker arrived. He wouldn't considered it playing since Iker would prioritize his chores first. Cormac still considered it fun. Iker was the closest thing he had to a friend in this Kingdom.

The group of kids ran by. They were so caught up in the fun that they bumped into Phoenix. He was trying to keep his balance as he he fell to the left. Cormac secured his arms around him, not allowing him to fall. Phoenix held into his arm as if not trusting Cormac would keep him upright. When Phoenix thought he was now safe, he leaned away from Cormac.

"Thank you." Phoenix said, looking at Cormac.

He kept his arms out as if still holding Phoenix. When it finally clicked that Phoenix was no longer in his arms he slowly lowered it. Phoenix was looking at the passing kids that were now a distance away, smiling as if they didn't almost let him fall. Cormac reached out and brushed a strand of hair from Phoenix's face causing the boy to turn and look at him.

"You're hair is quite lengthy." he said, taking Phoenix's hair in his hand.

"It needs to be cut." he replied, not taking his eyes off the other boy.

"No," Cormac replied almost too quickly, running a hand along his hair. It was nice to the touch, making him want to undo the braid and play in his hair. "I rather like your hair."

Phoenix didn't know how to reply. He was so not use to getting compliments. Cormac stood almost too close to Phoenix, closing the gap between them and the other might get burned. He allowed Phoenix hair to fall back onto his back. Silence passing by as they just stared at each other.

Cormac could feel his heart palpitating just from looking at the boy. Phoenix was the first to break, walking away. He could've sworn he saw a smile on his lips before he fully turned away, making Cormac smile himself.

"What's wrong with this heart of mine." he muttered to himself, hurrying to catch up with the cause of his sudden rapidly beating heart.

👑