Chapter I - Silently Crying Cloud

I was happy when I had grown big enough to get around on my own. Who knew that being a baby would be so boring! Mama was in the kitchen making dinner happy that Papa was coming home. At the moment I was playing with a ball in the backyard. I heard a car pull up front and dropped the plastic ball. A smile grew on my face as I ran inside. I opened the side door and froze. A frown replacing my smile. I knew I should feel happy but I felt nervous. I hadn't seen my father in a long time. Did he even remember me? I heard mama and two voices at the front door. I vaguely remembered one of the voices as my father, but the other voice I couldn't place. I felt like I had heard it before and felt warm inside when I did. I slowly walked into the hallway and hid behind mama. I clutched her leg as I peeked out at the two men. The blonde man I recognized as Papa bent down in front of me.

"Hello Tuna fish. Will you give your Papa a hug?" I smiled brightly as I latched my arms around his neck. He remembered me! I felt so happy.

"Hello there Tsuna-chan." I looked up shyly at the older man. He had grey hair and a mustache. He had wrinkles at the corner of his mouth. Smile lines. I got a warm feeling when I saw him. I felt like I could trust him for some strange reason. I smiled at him.

"Hewo, my name is Sawada Tsunayomi." I mentally berated myself for my bad pronunciation. I had been practicing for a long time not to mess that up.

"Ah, Tsu-chan, I'd like to introduce you to someone. This is Nono, your Grandpa." Papa picked me up so I could be at eye level with the man who was apparently my grandfather. I felt happy to have more family so I smiled.

"Nice to meet you, Gw-Grandpa." I smiled to myself at my accomplishment. I extended my small hand towards him and he took it. "Do you wanna play with me?" I asked hopefully.

"Sure, why don't you go outside. I'll be out in a few minutes after I talk to your Mama and Papa." I smiled brightly.

"Reawy!?" He nodded. "Yay!!" I squirmed out of Papa's arms and ran outside to wait. I sat out there for to minutes tossing my ball up and down when I accidentally missed causing the ball to roll away. I chased after it before it could roll off the grass and onto the concrete. I smiled as I grasped the orange rubber ball. Then I heard a familiar bark and froze. I looked up to see that dog the neighbor own walk into the yard. I recognized it as a chihuahua, but I was tiny and only three so the dog was nearly half my size and it has teeth. It began barking and jumping around knocking me over. Tears entered my eyes out of fear since I couldn't keep up. When it jumped on my stomach I couldn't stop the tears. I cried scared that the dog would bite me. Then I felt something warm. I looked down at my arms and realized I was on fire. It was bright and orange and it scared me. The dog had gotten off but I continued crying. Was I gonna burn up? Why didn't it hurt? Papa and Grandpa ran outside and saw me crying they looked surprised. Papa ran over and picked me up. At first I struggled out of fear of burning him, but he showed no signs of pain so I stopped. Why wasn't Papa on fire? Grandpa walked over and lit a similar flame on his finger. My eyes widened as he placed his finger on my forehead. Suddenly I felt very sleepy. I saw the fire surrounding me go out before closing my eyes and giving in.

That was two years ago. I hadn't seen Papa or Grandpa since then and it made me sad. I had asked Mama what happened to Papa and she told me he turned into a star. I cried at first thinking that meant he had died. It hurt so much. Like my heart was being ripped out of my chest. I could hardly bear it. I asked her through my tears if he had died and she said he hadn't. I was relieved to hear that and started crying from relief. Mama panicked slightly when I kept crying but I smiled and told her I was happy which calmed her down.

Now I was five years old and would be starting kindergarten next month. Two weeks ago these strange dreams started happening. Everything would be dark and then I would see a little boy who looked maybe a year older than me. He would have black hair and gray eyes. He would be sitting on the floor crying. Sometimes he would speak, "Kaa-san! Tou-san! Don't leave me! I don't want to be alone! It hurts! Please...I don't want to be alone..." Every morning I would wake up crying. It was like the boy's pain was my pain. I didn't understand why I kept having these dreams. I didn't like how they made me feel. I wanted to hug the boy, but I couldn't. I would run towards him, but no matter how fast I ran I never got any closer. I would scream and yell, anything to get the boy to hear me. To tell him he wasn't alone, but he never did. It hurt. It made me feel helpless. When I told Mama about the dreams, but she told me I was probably just nervous about my first day of school. I wanted to believe her but I had a feeling that that wasn't the case. That the dreams I was having were important.