Crumbling Time (Chap. 9)

Start from the beginning

"Where do they...think you're going?

"On a road trip...to Missouri with some...guys from baseball."

"Missouri? How'd you...come up with that?"

"Well...I didn't lie."

"What are you...talking about?"

"We're going to Missouri."

"Explain?"

"Last night I Googled...Carnell Laboratories.... I only found one thing...under that name...and when I clicked...the link...a picture of the man...we encountered...came up.... That has to be...the place."

"If the lab is...all the way...in Missouri...then why did he...come here to dump...his crap?"

"That is a...very good question."

It really made no sense. There were plenty of lakes where he was from I was sure. I was definitely going to ask him about that when-well, more like if-we ever got to the lab. Who said we were going to get in, first of all?

I flinched as a group of girls passed the doorway, shouting for someone. All noises irritated me, but I was able to ignore the pain when it was a soft sound causing it. But the loud noises were just too much to bear.

"Well, going to the...lab ought to stop...the pain."

"It better stop...everything," I mumbled.

"We can hope."

I nodded. "Now that we have...a plan, I just...really want to get...away from here."

"I'm sure you do.... It must be...really painful."

"Mmm hmm." Then I realized something. "Neither of us...know how to...get to Missouri."

He grinned. "That's where you're...wrong. I do...I got a map...this morning and...traced our path."

I stared at him. "Really?"

He nodded, smiling wide and puffing up with pride. "Yeah. It was...easier than I thought."

"Oh my god...Cam, you're amazing."

He looked down at his hands, sheepish. "Thanks. I just wan-"

"You forgot...to pause," I informed him.

"Oh," he looked even more sheepish, "I want to help."

"You really are," I assured him.

He smiled at me, then gave my hand the comforting squeeze he almost always gave before going to his seat. I closed my eyes and tried to ignore the ringing in my head that the bell caused. I just wished I could stuff cotton balls in my ears and remove all sound.

That day went at a speed just a bit faster than a crawl. The only thing that kept me going was the thought that I was going to-hopefully-solve my power breach soon enough. The moment spring break came, Cam and I were out of here. I wasn't even gonna go home first.

"Last day," Cam said softly the next day.

I forced a grin. My headache was at its peak-it was like a fist was punching the inside of my head, trying to get out. To tell the truth, I wanted it out. I felt like getting a science scalpel and doing surgery on myself. That was obviously the absolute worst idea I could possibly think of, but I was desperate. I was in desperate need of silence, and a feeling of wellness.

He smiled back at me, and then neither of us were in a mood to have a regular conversation. Every once in a while, if I would look at him, he would give me an expression of assurance, as though he knew we could make me normal again. But then the look of pity that was almost there returned when I pressed my fingertips to my forehead as the bell rang. I could tell that that day was going to be another very long one for me.