ONE

Evalyn's POV
"Dad! Dad! Come on, we're gonna be late!" I giggle, running out into our front yard. "I'm coming Eva! I'm coming.. don't worry"
I jump around, my loose ballerina skirt flapping in the air as I pull anxiously at the car door.

"That was the day of my dance recital, it was my third year and I was about 8 years old..7? I can't remember exactly.."

He walks around to the other side and unlocks the doors, sliding in as I hop onto the seat. We buckle up our seatbelts and start driving.

"I was ecstatic, it would be the first year my dad saw me perform. The too other ones he was busy with work or whatever business trip he was on then.."

The car starts up and I reach for the radio, I turn on todays top hits but my dad quickly changes it to the alternative radio. "Hey!" I whine. "My car, my radio" he smirks, and I pretend to be grumpy and fold my arms, but I'm enjoying whatever's playing too much and start to dance. And my tight bun comes a bit loose.

"We started driving"

One of my blonde locks comes loose over for forehead, and he reaches over to tuck it back into my bun.

"He got distracted.."

I watched as he did it, admiring his bright blue eyes that I'd always wanted. I was stuck with my mother's green eyes. We looked back to the road at the same time.

"When we looked back to the road there was a bright flash. It happened in seconds and I guess I went into shock. I couldn't think, then I blacked out."

As I watch the side of a truck reflect the sunlight into my eyes, i feel my dad grab my front in a protective reflex. But he couldn't stop it from happening. There was a loud crash, then complete silence. A slight buzz in the air that sounded like a dog whistle. It upsets my ears but I don't think about it. After feeling the impact, I look over to my dad. But I instantly regret it. That was nothing an 8 year old girl should've seen. People say it was a mistake taking those last seconds to look into his eyes, but I believe everything happens for a reason, and I'm thankful that those last moments were spent feeling his love instead of something else.

"He died that day. Of course. Or else I wouldn't be in therapy right now. I got out with only a few fractures here and there, cracked a rib and broke an arm.. my mom and sister were already at the recital waiting. I still feel bad for how anxious they must've been. Wondering where we were"
I look down from the ceiling to my vans that are laying horizontally in front of me. My arms are resting on my chest. I watch as my Doctor takes notes.
She looks up, "right, and how many years ago was this?"
"6"
She rights it down.
"Mm, and how does this make you feel?"
I jerk my head over to look at her
"How does this make me FEEL?"