Together Again

Cautiously, with the captains sword drawn,  the knight and the captain walk toward the moaning sound in the smoke as the soldiers look on.  Something moved.  It seems to be an animal of sorts with white hair and white skin floating above the water.  As they get closer they see that it is a human. They pause as the smoke clears and they see that it is a man in a fetal position as if an infant.  The soldiers now also move closer to see.   More groans are heard. They then hear the words,

"Where am I?  Who am I?  Is this but a dream?"

The captain and knight now realize that this is William.  They pull him out of the water and onto the bank.  Apparently, the king died before the dragon, therefore, returning William to his original self.

"It is so dark.  I cannot see! " come more words from William.

Oh no!  thinks the knight. What I dreaded has come true.  William's eyes were taken when I removed the dragon's eyes, and now he is blind.

"Open your eyes!"  demands the Captain.

Slowly, William lifts his head and opens his eyes.   With this, he again asks,

"Where am I, and who are you?"

" I am Reginald, captain of the king's guard,"  answers the captain.

"Reginald?"  asks William.  "I once knew a Reginald but he was but a child.  Are you he?"

"Yes, I am he," replies the captain, " but now we must feed you, dress you and keep you warm. For you have been through more than any man should endure.   All of your questions will be answered soon."

The knight is now so relieved to know that William has not lost his sight.  Both the captain and the knight help him to his feet.  The soldiers feel much gladness to see him. They started a fire and covered him with blankets to warm him.  They  cheered in delight as they now know that William has returned, for they all knew of how he came to be.  As William slowly regains his memory he asks, 

"Where is my beloved Flo, and is she safe?"

"She is fine and patiently waiting for you.  You will soon be with her,"  replies the captain.

"But when?  I have waited so long."

"Very soon," states the captain.

Now that it seems William is slowly remembering the past, the captain orders eight of his soldiers to return to the castle and notify the villagers as to what has happened and of the kings death and for them to prepare a welcoming for William's return tomorrow afternoon.

The rest of the soldiers generously donate some of there clothes and anything else they could give to William to make him be more comfortable.  For most of the night, all help in any way they can to comfort him and aid him to remember the past.    At times there is laughter and camaraderie, something the captain is glad to see and has not seen for such a long time among his men.

The next morning, no one has slept and all are excited.  William, with everyone's help, now remembers all and is most eager to return to Flo.  The soldiers have trimmed his long beard, had him wash, and cut his hair and dressed him so that he will look his best when he again meets his love.

It is now time for them to depart.  As they exit the cave, for a moment, William looks back at the place he spent so much time as a dragon.  He then turns and looks at everyone and says,

"Thank you all for your help, especially you, Anthony, as this all would not have occurred had it not been for you.  I am now ready for what I have wished and dreamed of for so many years."   

With this, he mounts his horse.  As they start to ride away they are startled as the earth shakes beneath them and causes a few of their horses to bolt.  All look around in wonderment as to what is happening.  Rocks can be seen falling down around them.  As suddenly as it began, it stops.  All is quiet.   They then look back at the entrance of the cave and see that it is now completely blocked with large boulders.  Moments pass as they stare. Then William says,

"I now know that what you all have done was meant to be."

The solders again cheer William as he turns and leads the train of soldiers down the mountain.  The knight and the captain ride behind him.   Every soldier is smiling broadly.

When they reach the lowlands they are greeted by local farmers beside the road who were told earlier of what has happened. They shout wishes of happiness and good fortune to William. Women throw flowers at him as he passes. More people accumulate as they near the castle. The soldiers have to clear a path through the crowd so that William may pass and enter through the castle wall gate which is now opened to all who wish to enter. There is much laughter and joy among the people.

This much happiness has not been seen for too long. This is good, thinks the captain. All shout cheers to William as he rides past to finally meet his love.

Now, inside the castle walls, he dismounts. His heart is pounding. He wonders what she will think of him and how he looks for it has been so many years since she last saw him. He sees a horse trough and decides to look at his reflection in the water just o be sure he is presentable. He has not seen himself since becoming a dragon. He makes his way through the crowd of well-wishers and looks down into the water and is startled at what he sees.

What has happened to me? he thinks. To his surprise, he sees an ugly wrinkled old man with grey hair. I cannot let her see me this way. I am old and haggard. She does not deserve this, he thinks. He bolts and then quickly pushes his way back through the crowd to his horse and prepares to remount to ride away but is stopped by these soft words,

"Is that you William? Why do you run from me? Do you no longer remember me?"

He lays his forehead on the saddle of his horse which he was about to mount and thinks, what do I do now? I cannot abandon her. I have no choice. He waits a moment and then sadly turns and faces her with his head held down.

There is a moment of silence, as all who have gathered look on, she then replies,

"Oh, you are so handsome, more so from the time I last saw you. Is that really you?"

What?  he thinks. Is she blind?

He then lifts his head and looks at her. His heart skips a beat at what he sees. Yes, there are wrinkles, and yes there is grey hair on an old feeble bent over old woman, but he sees none of this. In his mind, he sees the most beautiful woman he has ever seen which he has been in love with from the first moment he saw her. Her eyes are again mesmerizing as they were when he first gazed upon her.

She too sees him in this amazing way. She sees the twinkle in his eyes. She sees his smile. She feels the love she has missed for so long. She sees the man she was meant to be with from the day she was born, and he is perfect for her in every way.

"Yes, my love, it is me," he replies.

At this time, all who are looking, and there are many, are utterly silent. Even the children that were playing and making noise are now quiet, for they feel the tension from the crowd.

As William and Florence slowly move towards one another they embrace slowly. They gently and slowly touch each others faces running their trembling fingertips over every feature. Tears are running down their cheeks as it is with every person looking on.

"Is this but a dream?" Florence asks.

"No more," replies William.

With these last words, they embrace and hold each other tight. This is their time. For several minutes there is only silence. Suddenly, a mighty roar erupts among the crowd with shouts of joy and claps of approval.

Together again.

As the author of this story, I cannot find words to describe what these two people are feeling. I don't think there are any. This, now, has to do with their spirits and who knows but them about that?

The End (Maybe)

Thank you for reading my story. I sincerely hope you liked it.