Chapter 4

Pretty sure this is my new favorite story.  That means updates.  But my Percy Jackson fanfic “UnTamed” is in a close second, if not tied… Hmm… 

Chapter Quote:

“We’d rather die than do it your way.”

~Imagine Dragons, Ready Aim Fire

__________________________________

Chapter 4

December 12, 2004…

I took a glance up from my computer screen to look outside.  It was a dreary winter day.  Snow was being thrown down on the ground and I knew it was going to be a hellacious trip home even if it was a short trip.  I was well over half way done with my homework so I decided I should get home early and finish it there.  As I stood up, I was approached by a familiar face.

“Agent Rumlow,” I greeted with a smile.

“Hello Miss Drew.  How are you?” he asked, returning my smile.

“I’m doing well.  You?”

“Good, good.  Listen, Secretary Pierce has asked for you to come up to his office.  He would like me to escort you there.”

“Oh.  Am I in trouble?” I asked, grabbing my coat.

“Not at all.  In fact, you should think of what he’s doing for you as a promotion.  You’ll see.  Come, I’ll bring you to him.”  Rumlow held his arm out for me.  I looped my arm through his and followed.  I found out he was only twenty one.  Three years older than me.  Not bad, I thought.  He’d certainly grown on me over the past few months, and to be honest, I really wanted to date him.  But then again, he was my coworker and technically one of my bosses.  If he asked me to do a job for him, I had to.  It would make things awkward between us at work if we ended up dating and breaking up.

We entered the elevator and went to the top floor.  Rumlow led me into Pierce’s office and left.

“Good evening, Miss Drew.  How are you today?” Mr. Pierce inquired, leaning against his desk.

“I’m doing well.  The weather could be better, but we can’t control the weather unfortunately.  How about you sir?”

“Very good actually.  You must be wondering why I called you up here.”

“I would be, sir.  I didn’t ask because I knew you would tell me sooner or later.”

“Smart girl.  I’ve been watching your progress along with the others since you arrived here, and I must say, you have excelled in everything we have tasked you with.  It’s quite extraordinary.  So I have a new task for you.  By far, the most important one you will most likely ever encounter.  Some of the other interns have attempted it but failed.  Are you willing to try it?”

“I am, sir.  What is this task?” I asked.

“I will show you.  Come with me.” I followed Pierce into the elevator. “Level Zima.”

“Access denied; Annabeth Drew is not allowed,” the elevator said.

“Secretary override. Pierce, Alexander M.” The elevator lurched down.  I watched outside until it disappeared when the elevator went underground, farther and farther.  At one point, it revealed a massive room with construction equipment all over the place.  Pierce said, “This is for a project in the far future.  It’s called Project Insight.  But that’s not your project.  Yours is even farther down.”