Pulling my bag over my shoulder, I began to jog somewhat,  towards the restaurant where, for the moment at least, I still worked.

"Hello José". I smiled as I breezed into the kitchen  with its delicious aromas invading my nostrils.

"Gwen! You're back! How are you?".    He asked  "Did you have a nice break?"

"It was lovely thanks".  I answered, looking around and seeing all the hustle and bustle of a busy kitchen preparing for the lunchtime customers.

I suddenly felt guilty by turning up at this time of day, but still felt that there was no time like the present to tell José of my plans.

"Look, José, I have something that I wish to tell you".   I said, nervously, taking in a deep breath.

José came towards me, his face beaming one of the biggest smiles that I had ever seen on anybody.
He wasn't really making this very easy for me.
I opened my mouth in which to tell him of my decision, but he suddenly interrupted:

"Guess who's sat in there" He said, moving his head towards the restaurant door.

I frowned at him.

" Someone you like". José went on, still grinning.

My stomach twisted with sudden anxiety.
No..........it couldn't be Alan............ could it?

"Ashcroft". José suddenly announced.

I stared at the little man before me and frowned again, trying to take in the word he had just spoken.

"Yes, yes, he's here. Sat there. All alone". José grinned.

I took an inward breath. José had known all about my infatuation with his former chef and just how hurt I had been when it had come to light that he had actually been engaged all along and had never precipitated my feelings for him at all.
I took in a deep breath.

" Why is he here?". I asked quietly.

José raised his arms up.

"Who can tell". He said. "But he asked about you".

My stomach twisted.

"Go see him". José went on. "Sort out differences, make amends. You never know, he might come to his senses and want to be with you after all".

I smiled at him.

"I wouldn't have thought so". I laughed. "But I will go and see him. See how life's been treating him, if he still looks the same".

"Oh, he does". José nodded at me. "Still very, very handsome".

My stomach twisted and although I was very curious about seeing Ashcroft Jennings again, I did so hope that my old feelings for him didn't resurface.
I wouldn't want to go through all of that all over again.

"I best go and see him then". I said, straightening and taking a deep breath.
I then went to the door knowing that José would be smiling broadly at me from behind.

Entering the restaurant, full of the clatter of cutlery on plates and the chinking of glasses that were mixed in with inaudible chatter, I scanned my eyes around in search of a solitary man who would be seated alone.
I spotted him. Sitting in a window seat, looking out and watching the world go by.
He had a bottle of red wine on the table and was gently sipping from a glass. Man! He was just as good looking as I'd ever remembered him.
I took in a breath, then walked over towards him, my heart pounding inside my chest with nervous anticipation.
He wasn't aware that I was standing right next to him, until I spoke: