06. flying classes

Start from the beginning

Everyone was talking about it, Malfoy was even boasting about it. Then, Seamus began telling everyone about riding his broom his whole childhood. Yeah right. Ron would even tell everyone who would listen about the time he almost hit a hand glider on Charlie's old broom.

Harper was pretty sure that that had never happened.

On the other side of her sat a really nervous Neville. Neville has never been on a broomstick, at least, that's what he said. His grandmother never let him on a broom and knowing him for a week, Harper got why she didn't let him. Neville was a good friend of her but he was also a bit . . . accident, even with both feet on the ground. He would only hurt himself.

The only person who was almost as nervous as Neville, was Hermione. Harper tried to calm her but failed miserably when she continued to blabber about tips that they could use on their brooms. On Harper's advice, what she really started to regret, Hermione had read the book Quidditch Through the Ages and Neville seemed to be hanging on every word she's been saying. Harper hoped it would help them.

Neville took his Remembrall and tried to remember what he had forgotten, when Malfoy came up behind him and snatched the Remembrall from Neville's hands. Harry, Ron and Harper jumped to their feet, ready to bite Malfoy off, when Professor McGonagall appeared in a flash, ruining Harper's hope to fight Malfoy.

"What's going on?" she asked, eying Malfoy.

"Malfoy's got my Remembrall, Professor," Neville replied.

"Scowling, Malfoy quickly dropped the Remembrall on the table. "I was just taking a look." He said and sloped away with Crabbe and Goyle following.

Harry, Ron and Harper exchanged a glance and sat back down. They continued to glare at Malfoy.

"Why does he have to be such a git?"

· · ───── · ☆ · ───── ·  ·

"GOOD AFTERNOON CLASS," Madame Hooch greeted them. They stood outside on the castle grounds and had formed two lines, one for Gryffindors and one for Slytherins.

"Good afternoon Madame Hooch," they replied.

"Welcome to your first flying lessons. Well, what are you waiting for? Everyone step up to the left side of their broomstick."

Harper walked over to a broom. Harry and Ron took the ones beside her.

"Stick your right hand over the broom and say up!"

"Up!" Harper said. Almost instantly, the broom flew up into her hand. She smiled and looked at Harry who had also a broom in his hand.

"Well done, Potters!" Madame Hooch said. "Ten points to Gryffindor!"

They smiled at each other and Harper saw Hermione having a difficult time.

"You have to mean it, Hermione," she said.

Hermione looked at Harper and nodded.

"Up!" The broom flew into her hand and she smiled at Harper.

"Up!" Ron said and the broom knocked agains his face.