𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟒

Start from the beginning

Charlie continued to let the Barton man guide her through the crowd of Tony's guests until she caught slight movement out of the corner of her eyes. When she looked over her shoulder in that direction, the blonde girl found Steve and Sam walking toward them. A wave of anxiety washed over the girl as her eyes stayed glued to the two men before they stopped right in front of her and Clint.

"Hey, Clint," Steve greeted the Barton man then his attention turned to the girl standing next to the master archer, "Charlie, I'd like you to meet Sam Wilson."

"Nice to meet you, Charlie," the raven-haired man said with a smile as he shook the Bridger girl's hand, "Steve told me how well you did on their mission in Sokovia. Nice work."

"Thank you. I'm a big fan of yours."

"At least someone is."

After talking with the two men for a few more minutes, Steve and Sam said their goodbyes and walked up the stairs to the balcony to have a private conversation. Charlie's eyes stayed on the duo for a moment longer before she turned around to face the arrogant archer next to her.

"See, I told you I could handle this," the young archer said with a large grin on her face, only to be greeted by her mentor rolling his eyes at her.

"Don't get too confident," Clint told her before he started walking through the room once again with Charlie close behind him, "we still have a whole night left for you to embarrass yourself."

────── ✼✼✼ ──────

A few hours passed since the party started and Charlie was having the time of her life. Throughout the night she met a lot of different people who had interesting stories to share with her. That also included Rhodey, who told her one of his War Machine stories about a tank and a general. The Bridger girl was pretty impressed...but she couldn't say the same for the rest of the Avengers. After all of the other guests left, the young archer found herself sitting between Clint and Bruce around a coffee table with the rest of the Avengers, Dr. Cho, and Agent Hill. Charlie listened intently as Thor began to talk about his hammer and how only those worthy would wield it before Clint let out a scoff.

"But it's a trick," the Barton man declared while twirling a drumstick around in his hands.

"No, no, it's much more than that," Thor defended as he stared back at the master archer with a hint of amusement in his eyes.

"'Ah, whoever be he worthy shall haveth the power,'" Clint recited while attempting to imitate Thor's accent as he motioned over at Mjolnir with both hands before letting out another scoff, "whatever, man! It's a trick."

"Please, be my guest," the God of Thunder responded with a smirk on his face before he gestured to the hammer that was simply sitting on the table.

"Really?"

"Yeah."

"Oh, this is gonna be beautiful," Rhodey muttered as Clint made his way over to the Odinson man's prized possession while Charlie attempted to hold back her laughter.

"Clint, you've had a tough week, we won't hold it against you if you can't get it up," Tony mocked the master archer, who was now standing right in front of Mjolnir.

"You know, I've seen this before, right?" Clint told Thor with a mock-serious look on his face as he wrapped his hand around the handle and pulled on it with as much strength as he could muster. The archer's grunts mixed with the laughter from his friends as Thor sent the Barton man a smug look when the hammer didn't move an inch. The Barton man struggled for another moment before he finally gave up and let out a laugh. "I still don't know how you do it!"