Chapter 10

Once Rafiki fell asleep I decided to drop by Pride Rock to say hello to everyone.

I took the long way so I didn't have to go through the gorge and suffer through another black out. Even though Mufasa said the darkness will no longer cause me pain I take the detour either way, just in case.

After about an hour of walking I reach the bottom of Pride Rock standing in all it's glory. I smile when I catch a glimpse of a slender, claw exposed, pink nosed, electric blue almost purple eyed girl that I've grown to love. "Hey. " I call when I get closer "oh, hey. " She sniffles. "Tani? What's wrong? " I'm sort of worried now, if someone caused any harm to her...only the thought of it makes my blood boil. "It's..it's Sarabi. " I furrow my brows, questioning what she means. Before I can ask just that Simba comes out of the cave with tears in his red-orange eyes. "Simba? Is everything alright? " I ask him "Tanabi? " "Yeah, I came to say hello to everyone. " "My mother has been asking for you, come on inside. " "Are you sure? I don't want to cause any problems by walking into your home." "It's fine. Please come. "

I follow Simba inside his vast cave with Vitani close behind. When I get to the back of the cave I see a sight that I wasn't planning on seeing. "Sarabi?" The beautiful, muscular, lioness that I met only a month ago looks worn out and sick. "Tanabi, you're here. " I nod and look over at Simba asking for a silent permission if I can lay next to her. He nods so I do just that.

"You okay? " "My sun is setting. " Tears prick at my eyes "wha-what do you mean? " "I've been walking upon this earth for enough time, it's time I join Mufasa in the clouds. " The tears have been released and are descending down my cheeks. "No, no you'll pull through. You're strong, you're a Pride Lander. " "I'm afraid not, sweetheart. " "Please don't leave yet. Please. " I beg the elderly woman laying in front of me. "Tanabi, you are my Kopa. You are the one who's strong. Take care of my son. " "I will. " She smiles and takes her last breath.

I choke a little on my breath and I swallow down the sobs that are trying to escape. Simba walks over to her lifeless body, nuzzles her neck one last time, licks her cheek, and a pair of sad lionesses come and take her body away with care and love.

"I'm sorry Simba. " "Not your fault, it, it was her time. " He sobs and Nala comes from the sidelines, cuddling into her husbands thick red mane. "She was like a mother to me. " They both sob into each other.

I feel out of place so I pick myself up and walk slowly out of the cave.

Though I didn't know Sarabi, she was a grandmother figure to me. I loved her even though I barely knew the kind woman. "Tanabi? " A deep voice calls from behind me "Mheetu. " He gives me a sad smile, I turn my body around and hug him. "She wasn't anything of mine, but, she was still- " "I know. " We back away slightly, looking at each other waiting for one of us to say the right words.

"How, uh, how have you been little brah? " "I've been..okay. " "That's good I guess. " He sniffles and licks his nose. "If you want I can come back later on this week since, you know. " "No it's fine. Wanna go for a walk? " I nod and we walk side by side away from Pride Rock.

"Why did you leave me? " I come up with the courage to ask. "I didn't leave you. You were-you're my little brother. I came back from my hunt and you were gone. " I raise a brow "I didn't leave Mheetu. " "Yes you did. " I try to think back to that day. Really think back.

But nothing comes up.

"Little brah, do you remember anything before you came here? " "Honestly. No. " "Me either. " I look up at him shocked. "What? " "I mean I remember raising you. But, I don't remember anything after that. I can recall the night Scar tried to kill me, but after that I was taking care of you. I don't remember ever going to Rafiki, or running away. Nothing. "