The First Snowflake Falling

'Twas the first snowfall in the small village of Burgess. As the last nail hit it's mark on the chapel, two other things happened. It was twilight as the first cry of a baby broke the reverent silence. A snowflake, the very first for the small settlement, slipped through a small crack and landed on the baby's face.
The Overland family was overjoyed to have their child be the first born in the settlement, not in a wagon or another village or town. The Overlands were not the type to follow tradition and named their daughter Jack Pippa Overland. The other settlers didn't mind the strange girl, growing to respect and adore her tricks, pranks, and especially the fun she brought with her. She could make anybody laugh and wherever she went she brought joy. She was the favorite of the town.
On one chilly October night, Haven, Jack's mother had been in the woods. She hadn't returned by noontime the next day. The men of Burgess set out to find her. When the men of the village saw the state that Haven's body was in, they buried her where they had found her body. Jack had only been 10 years old with a baby sister, named Emma, who was only a few months old. Jack became the lady of the house and raised Emma with the help of her father. She was to be the protector of the family as her father's work kept him away.
She became a shepherd, the best Burgess had ever seen. Her stories were written down word for word. Every single story she ever told, from Santa being a Bandit King to the Boogieman being the Guardian of Caution and Courage. Each story was amazing, unique, and kept the fears of the harsh winters at bay. After every story that she told, she would boop someone's nose and earn a giggle. The town fondly called this habit nipping at their noses. She loved winter and the fun it could bring.
Her father, when he was home, was always rough with her but it got really bad when Jack was three days from turning 12. He had been in the bottles again and started to beat her worse than ever before. She somehow managed to get away from him, running to the room she shared with Emma. She wrapped Emma in a thick blanket, picked up her shepherd's crook, and climbed out of the window. She wanted to scream in pain but her father was getting closer. She was eight feet above the ground when he thrust his head out of the window and saw her. She jumped to the ground and started to run, clutching Emma and the staff close to her. She had run with all that she had, ending up at the Bennett's home, pounding on the door, her father only a short distance away. Mr. Bennett opened the door and took one look at the bloody, bruised, and terrified girl in front of him. He moved to the side, his middle son gently taking her arm and leading her into the house. Mr. Bennett walked out the door, closing it behind him and standing guard. Thomas Bennett, 14 years of age and the only boy that was a perfect match for this girl, helped her to sit down by the hearth.
"Jack, you ok?" He watched as she held back her tears as she rocked Emma and herself back and forth. He silently took Emma from her without a complaint, placing her in an old crib close by. After finding a rag and some water, he came back to Jack's side and gently cleaned her face of blood. Once he was done, he gently placed a hand on her shoulder. She surged forward and sobbed into his chest. He rubbed her back and comforted the gal he had been dating for two years. He was going to ask her to marry him on Christmas Day, in three days time.