Chapter 8

••• Chapter 8 •••

       When I open my eyes, I'm standing in a dark cave. A bonfire blazes bright in the far back of the cave. The fire casts tall shadows over the walls.

       Voices echo far off into the cave, very close to the bonfire. They call my name in desperate, hoarse voices. The voices are drowned out by a louder voice. This one is also hoarse and raspy, almost like the gashadokuro's voice.

       "Where is it?" The voice asks. Now, the voice sounds like Voldemort's in the first Harry Potter movie. "Tell me now! Where is the Fire? Tell me!"

       The small voices are silent. One voice speaks up. My breath catches in my throat. It sounds so much like my mothers. "We have no knowledge of any fire. Let us go!"

       A loud growl shakes the cave and I hear screams of pain. I jerk myself forward and fall on my face.

       "I'm coming, hold on!" I yell, but no sound emanates from my lips. I struggle to move, but my feet are glued to the spot. I push myself up, and the scene changes.

       I am in a different cave now. This one is higher and wider, and it is filled with gashadokuros. Here, my feet are allowed to move. Taking advantage of my ability, I duck behind a boulder.

       One gashadokuro speaks to a creature with deathly white skin. The creature has black torn wings and visible fangs. Crimson bloods drips down from her fangs and falls from the edges of her mouth.

       "What do you mean, the gashadokuro failed?!" The creature demands with a raspy feminine voice.

       The gashadokuro winces. As the strange female creature growls and bares its fangs, the gashadokuro cowers before it. "He never came back, Commander."

       The Commander bares its fangs again. "Did it devour the Fire?"

       "No ma'm, Commander."

       The winged creature screams with rage and her wings spread. She soars up high into the air, making me cower further behind the boulder. "Listen to me, all of you! The last gahsadokuro failed his mission to rid the world of the Fire. If you want to stay undead, you will find that girl with no rest! Now go!"

       All of the gashadokuros roar in agreement and run to find the Fire. While the Commander watches her army with a malicious grin on her face, she suddenly looks down at the boulder I hide against. Her fangs glint in the dim light and she advances towards me.

       My eyes open right before she can touch the boulder. I lie half on the bed and half off in the extra room of safe house.

       "Gah," I whisper. I pull myself up onto the bed. I allow my back to lay flat on the sheets. The thought of going back to sleep is ruined when someone knocks on my door.

       "C'min," I mutter, and Sam opens my door.

       "Hey, girlie," she says. There's a half-smile on her face. "Rise an sh– ya know what? It's morning, I'm gonna cut to it. There's a fresh pair of clothes in the top drawer of the dresser and there's a bathroom down the hall. Meet us in the kitchen in ten."

       I nod. As soon as she leaves the room, I push myself off of the bed and make my way sleepily to the bathroom to take a shower. After I shower, I hurry back to the bedroom so that no-one sees me.

       The clothes I guess Sam picked out for me look pretty cozy. The outfit involves a cream colored tank-top with a light raspberry stripe. A sweat jacket the same color as the raspberry stripe is folded underneath some jeans that remind me of those Pajama Jeans I saw on TV one day.