How I Fell Asleep On The Beach

I feel like I'm flying. The breeze doesn't put up much of a fight, since my unhelmeted hair was obviously winning. I speed down a long sloped paved road, my adrenaline pumping. My eyes lit with determination. I use my right foot to thrust my board forward and lie my right hand gently on the lightly cracked pavement. As I slide around the sharp curve I feel my board shifting, and the wheels stalling. My body reiterates back into a tuck, and I glance over my shoulder with a smirk plastered on my face watching the curve I just conquered disappear quickly. Once my gaze was fixated on the flat strip of land, I started to stand from my tuck. My foot caressed the ground as I came to a halt. There was a burning sensation on the bottom of my right foot.

"Shit," I muttered after I caught a glimpse of the bottom of my shoe.

I was in current need of new shoes, since the ones I was currently wearing were filled with holes from foot braking. I slid my foot under my sector 9 brandy longboard and popped it up into my hand.

I headed to the beach and my head was still pounding with thoughts. When I ride it's my sacred time to think, but recently all I have been able to fixate my concentration on is the Miami Gnarathon in just 6 months. My feet hit the sand, I plopped on to the ground and then gently layed my board on to my lap.

I analyzed my board touching every knick and chip. My fingers caressed the edge of my board where my freedom sticker was faded and a chunck of my board about a size of a nickel was missing, I winced as the memories flood back. Pushing back the thoughts, I started spinning my black and white 70 MMA wheels, by doing so my Caliber trucks loosely shook. I glanced over my board one more time an image of a fiery faded shark invaded my site. I think to myself my board and I have sure been through hell and back.

The names' Samantha Long, but people call me Sam. I am 5"6, with beach waved blonde hair that reaches the top of my thighs. I moved to Miami from Washington about 2 days ago. The move happened so quickly , one day my mom decided she couldn't deal with a 17 year old daughter anymore. She kept saying I got in too much trouble and that I was too much responsibility. Two weeks after her epiphany I was being shipped off to my fathers (Carls). I arrived at the condo that was in the center of downtown, and lightly knocked at the door. A man in his late 30's answered, only wearing a wife beater and plaid boxers.

" I'm not interested in no girl scout cookies."

I stood there with my board in my left hand and a duffel bag in my right. As I recall I was wearing a loose low rise sunset orange tank top. The front of my see through shirt, fell just right above my navel, showing my belly button ring. My pants hung loosely on my hips and holes on my right thigh, left knee, and both shins. White and gray Vans peeking out of my tattered jeans.

I stood there with a blank expression on my face and my hand propped on my hip. Something seemed to click in the man's head and his face changed, "!Oh, your not selling cookies are you?"

I pressed my lips together and cocked an eyebrow at him. As I slowly started to shake my head he cuts me off.

"Are you Sam?"

I snapped my fingers, put on a fake smile, and push past him into the condo. As I stepped into the house the smell of alcohol and weed flooded my nose. I let out a gentle cough and turned to face Carl, as he shut the door.

"Sooo," Carl droned on. "How was your flight?"

I stayed silent and shifted my eyes between Carl and my duffle bag. He seem to get my signal and exclaimed "Your room! Its right down here..." he trailed as he led me down a short hallway and slapped a door.

I opened the door and walked in, "You never did tell me how your flight..." his sentence was finshied with a swift door kicked in his face. "Dinner at 8" Carl yelled through the wooden door that separated him from me.

The room was nothing out if the ordinary,a small twin sized bed and a desk and a dresser with 3 drawers. One window that looked into someone else's room across the way.

Awkward, I thought, why would you want to see into someone elses room?

Sighing I sat on my bed. Ding, my phone went off and I fished it out of my back pocket. The name Tyler flashed across the screen and I instantly felt my anger rising. I reluctantly open the text message. The video that was playing before me, made my blood boil. It was a video of my best friend, my ex best friend, Clarisse boarding with my ex boyfriend and his crew. Since I had left her loyalties were rearranged.

That bitch, I thought.

I shoved my phone into my pocket, grabbed my longboard and swung open my door. Carl was in the recliner sippin on a beer.

"Where are you going?" he asked.

I kept my head down and swatted my hand at him, and ran out of the door. As soon as I hit the big Hill of pavement in front of the condos, I threw my board out in front of me and hopped on. At the end of my ride I ended right here, where I am sitting in the sand. I laid back and let my eyes cascade over my eyeballs.