Chapter Thirty-One: Unsuccessful

Three Weeks and Three Days, Paris

Erik stared down at the parchment in his hands. This wasn't bad news… no, this was devastating.

'Mon amour, Erik,

I apologize in advance for the brief content in this letter. There is very little to tell you, but what there is to tell is very important. I cannot come home for some time, no matter my own wishes. The reason is hard to explain and I do not understand it myself. Neither does Daniel, nor does Samuel – with whom I am reacquainted, by the way. I cannot wrap my head around this development. It makes no sense to me.

Simply put, my father left me everything. The estate, the business, and the land. I am in charge of it all. It is impossible to explain how daunting this is. I suppose the best thing to do is to tell you that I plan to find someone to take over the business in my stead so that I may return to you. Unfortunately, I do not know how much time this will take, so in turn, have no inclination as to when I will return to Paris. Do not worry about me, mon amour. I am safe and protected here.

Daniel has made the decision to stay here for another week, then he is to depart for another delivery. It is still strange to think that he works for me now.

I will let you know when any more happens and if/when I shall be able to come home.

Tu me manques, je t'aime,

Camillé'

_____/~~\_____

Three Weeks and Four Days, Mireval

Camillé looked up at Daniel with pleading eyes. "Is there no way you could do this for me?"

"I'm afraid not," he replied, and leaned over her, "But I promise you I will try my hardest to help you when I return."

Samuel sauntered into the study and sat down in one of the big chairs before the fireplace. Camillé stood and walked over to slump in her favorite chair beside him. He looked her over once before he laughed. Daniel narrowed his eyes at the expression on Samuel's face. Since the man had walked into this room for the reading of Camillé's father's will and hugged her like he was her best friend, he had been wary of him. He did not seem like the kind of man who only wanted to be friends with her.

"That is not a very ladylike posture," Samuel's teasing tone made her lighten up as she sat up to face him.

She levelled a playful glare at him. "And would you like to help me with the documentation of all my resources and ships, incoming and outgoing shipments and goods, and where each of my ships is now?"

He held up his hands and all three of the adults in the room laughed. "I would, but…"

"… but you're not a gentleman, are you, Beaumont?" Daniel joked with him, causing the group to laugh again.

"I am a gentleman!" he protested, sitting up straight and proud, "I just happen to be terrible at accounts."

Camillé gaped and pushed him. "You are insufferable! How can you be so terrible in accounts if you run your father's business?"

"I hire someone for it," he explained, and she scoffed, "You ought to do the same, if your complaints are any indication."

A messenger knocked on the door and peeked in. "Captain Merrick, I was told to tell you that the White Camellia is ready for departure in the harbor. All she needs is her captain."