"Kiburi, right?"

"That's right."

"Are you the crocodile who was banished from the Pride Lands by Simba?"

Kiburi winced. "Yes."

"Why did you do it?"

"Excuse me?"

"What did Simba do to you that you wanted him dead?"

"I d-didn't want him dead! I just wanted..." Kiburi stopped right there, not knowing what to say. He himself didn't know what he wanted at that time, other than beat Makuu to win back Akina.

Kitwana knew he had hit the jackpot when he didn't receive an answer at all. "And why did you have it against Makuu? Did he do something to you?"

"Other than rob me of the love of my life? Not much." Kiburi said sarcastically, turning away this time.

Kitwana blinked. "Does that mean... Akina?"

Kiburi nodded slowly. "I loved her, but Makuu stole her from me."

"Did she love you?"

"Are you always that curious?!" Kiburi growled, annoyed, but answered the question. "She would have if he hadn't gotten in the way!"

"But you're not sure, are you?" Kitwana pressed.

"I am sure she would. We knew each other long before Makuu appeared, even back then I loved her!"

"If that's true, I don't understand. You claim you love her, but you were willing to hurt her."

"Wha-?! How dare you?!" Kiburi snapped, stepping out of the water, baring his teeth. "I would never lay a claw on her, I never did!"

"I didn't mean physically," Kitwana said calmly, though he was trembling at the sight of Kiburi's teeth. "But you were willing to hurt, or maybe even kill, Makuu. That would have definitely hurt her, don't you think? Wouldn't you be sad if something happened to your mate?"

Kiburi's resolve started to crumble, but as he opened his mouth to say something, nothing came out.

"You say you love her, yet you were willing to take away the animal she loves the most in the Pride Lands. You only wanted revenge on Makuu, but you didn't stop to think of how Akina would have reacted had you actually succeeded. Would she have accepted you knowing you took her spouse away? You really think she would?"

No response.

"See? If you had loved her as you say you do, you would have thought of her first and you last. I might not have gone through it, but from what I've seen, love is not selfish. Sometimes, when you love someone, you have to think of what's best for them, even if it will hurt us..." 

As he spoke, realization dawned unto Kitwana as he recalled what Makuu had done, and he felt guilty, recalling Makuu had said something like that back then when he nearly drowned.

Hate me all you want for this, but one day you'll thank us for it.

He finally understood.

Kiburi started running towards the prairie but turned around to see Kiburi one last time. "Thanks, Mr. Kiburi!"

Kiburi stared at him in confusion as he ran off. Why did he thank him? He had no time to ponder that and instead went into the water. He had a lot to think about.

XXXXX

It has been a while ever since he stopped to admire the night sky. The last time, he was just a hatchling, and he asked his mother why there were so many stars in the sky. Nyota told him a legend about the Great Lion Kings and Queens of the past, and how each had a star in the sky, from where they continued to watch over the Pride Lands.