Chapter 13

Makuu was... unresponsive for some time when Dalila said Kitwana had probably been taken by the two-legs. A few moments later, however, he nearly attacked Bakshi out of frustration and grief, which was only prevented by Simba's timely arrival. Still, the crocodile refused to even look at him, and swam away into the depths of the water to, both literally and figuratively, cool himself down.

By the time he finally re-emerged to the surface, most of the herds had left, except for Thurston's and Twiga's herds, who asked to stay for the night, still too nervous to consider going back to their own places at night with the two legs around. He also spotted Bakshi's flock on the reeds, which was all gathered around Dalila, who was seemingly recovering form her injury.

It was nighttime already, so most of them were already asleep, his own float included.

Makuu glanced in the direction of the water hole that had been the flock's home. What had happened to Kitwana? If he was captured, then what would become of him? A meal? Or did those creatures have more insidious things in mind?

Part of him blamed himself for this. If he hadn't let him go that easily, if he just had... Great, he was thinking on 'what ifs' again. The worst part? He didn't even share a proper goodbye in his haste to just be done with it. Even if Kitwana hadn't said anything, he should have. He just repeated the same mistake that led him to lose his siblings in a similar manner.

The only difference? On this occasion he still had a chance to do something to save him.

And this time, he wouldn't 'let it slip'.

Silently, he swam towards the shore, and started heading towards the watering hole. Surely the beast's prints were still there, right? If he could only follow them to the two-legs' den and save Kitwana before he was eaten...

Makuu stopped when he heard the bushes nearby rustling despite not being a single breeze tonight. He stopped in his tracks, and spoke without turning around. "Come out, I know you are there."

A few seconds later, Hodari peeked his head out of the bushes. "Are you going to look for Kitwana?"

"I am. Don't you dare trying to stop me."

"I don't want to stop you, Makuu. I want to go with you."

The crocodile looked back at him in surprise. "What?"

"I don't want to stay here crossing my arms while Kitwana is in danger! I want to help you!"

"Hodari, I... appreciate the gesture, but those two-legged animals are apparently more dangerous than hyenas, jackals and Kiburi's float together. I don't want you to get squashed."

"They won't be able to detect me as easily, I might be able to infiltrate their lair and find Kitwana. Sides, even if they do I still got my moves!" the little gecko did another attempt of the tail spin, and his tail ended up hitting his head again. "Ow!"

Makuu rolled his eyes. However, Hodari did have a point. A crocodile wasn't precisely good at hiding in non-watery places, and he could be easily spotted because of his green scales. A gecko, however, at the very least could hide behind a rock or in the shadows.

Suddenly, he heard more bushes rustling, but this time it was easier to spot the perpetrators. Ghubari, Balozi, Bayana and... Akina?!

"What are you doing here?!" he hissed in a low voice.

"You didn't think we'd let you go against those animals all by yourself, did you?" Balozi pointed out matter-of-factly.

"It's too dangerous! I cannot ask you to come with me when this is something I must do alone!"