A Wolverine in Gotham [Extended Version]

Professor Xavier's School for the Gifted - Marvel Universe  

Wolverine, more often these days called Logan since the whole spandex jumpsuit thing went out of style, stood smoking a cigar in the middle of the driveway in front of Professor Xavier's School for the Gifted. Keeping him company was a young student named Rouge.

"When I first came here," said Wolverine in his grumpy voice, "You could smoke in the dorms. Now... I have to be twenty-five feet from school property."

"Really?" Rouge asked with sarcastic shock and a flair of southern charm. "I though you came out here to get away from us pesky kids."

"If it is the reason," said Wolverine with a bit of a smile, "I guess it ain't workin'."

Colossus, in his non-metallic form, came though the large steel gates that separated the campus from the driveway and made his way out to the truant pair.

"When it rains, it pours," said Wolverine with a chuckle to Rouge.

"Professor X needs to see you," said Colossus in his thick Russian accent. Even when he wasn't in metal form, he was as stiff and ridged as person could be, mutant or otherwise.

"Can't it wait til I'm done with my cigar? These things cost eight bucks a piece!" Wolverine growled at Colossus.

"I'm afraid it can't," said Colossus. "It would be best if you came now."

Wolverine let out a grumble and then handed the burning cigar to Rouge.

"Don't let it go to waste," Wolverine said with a wink. "Alright bucket-head! Let's go!"

***

Walking along side of Colossus, Wolverine made his way into the Cerebro Chamber. Along with Professor X, Cyclops, and Jean Grey, was a large piece of equipment Wolverine had never seen before.

"Let me guess... World's going to end... Secret Mission... Yada, yada, yada," said Wolverine with a smirk.

"Yes... Well..." stammered Professor X, "Something like that... But it's not our world that is in jeopardy."

"Whadda mean?" asked Wolverine. "Isn't saving one world enough? Now we have to go save some aliens?"

"Not aliens," said Jean Grey walking up to him. "Another Earth. Another dimension."

"And why would we want to do that?" Wolverine asked as his eyes started to role back.

"Not we..." said Professor X, "You."

"Me? Wait a second, bub... You want me to go to another dimension, by myself? It must not be a very big threat."

"Actually, Logan," said Jean Grey taking his hand, "You are the only one who can stop it. There is no one like you in their dimension. That's why only you can stop their greatest threat."

"If you don't do this..." said Professor X, "It will mean death for everyone on their planet, mutant and human alike. If you succeed, we will gain a very powerful ally."

"So this is really important?" Wolverine asked with a smile.

"Extremely," said Professor X.

"Okay then," said Wolverine, "I'll do it on one condition... I get to smoke my cigars wherever I want when I get back."

"Logan!" shouted Professor X. "You know that's a state law! We're a school for God's sake!"

"Well, I guess this Other-Earth just isn't that important," Wolverine turned and started to walk out of the Cerebro Chamber.