“Just drop it.” I said coldly, turning back around and continuing down the hall.

“I don’t want to.” He challenged.

I ignored him and kept walking. I passed the first few stores and realized that they were all locked closed with metal gates.

I groaned, realizing that the keys were probably still on the counter of the Subway. I turned around and saw Dyson still watching me, waiting for me to realize that I needed the keys to go into any of the stores.

I awkwardly made my way back to the Subway counter but before I could get the keys, Dyson grabbed them and smirked. “Where’d you have in mind?” He asked.

I rolled my eyes. “I need to go get something. Just let me have the keys.” I ordered.

“Sorry. No can do.” He said smugly. “But I’d be more than happy to assist you to where you are going.”

“Why can’t you just leave me alone?” I whined.

“Do you really want to wander around this huge mall alone?” He asked innocently.

“If we can’t get out, nobody can get in.” I said in a bored tone. “So stop trying to scare me. I don’t even scare easily.”

“Okay. But I’m still not giving you the keys.”

“Fine. Then come with me.” I said, already hating this whole situation. There just has to be a way out… right?

I turned back around and this time, he followed me. “So where are we going?”

“The pharmacy.” I said shortly.

“Why the pharmacy?” He asked.

I gave him a sideways glance. “Sleeping pills.” I said quietly. “If we’re going to be stuck here, I need sleeping pills.”

“I always thought that you were a drug addict.” He chirped as we turned the corner and down another row of locked up stores.

“I’m not a drug addict. You’re just a moron.” I argued.

He chuckled. “Ouch.” There was a moment of silence before he grabbed my wrist, making me stop. “Hey, let’s go in here.” He said.

I looked up at the sign. “The sports store? Why?” I asked.

“I have an idea.” He said with a smile as he unlocked the gate and gently slid it up so that we could get inside.

“Don’t you think we’ll get in trouble for taking things?”  I asked as we walked into the store full of hiking gear and hunting equipment. It also had a few skateboards hanging on the wall next to a rack of roller blades, pads, and helmets.

“The security cameras won’t be working if the power’s out.” He said, looking through the electronics isle of the small store.

“But-“

“Tyler, stop being so uptight.”

“I am not uptight!” I argued.

“Please. You’re the most uptight person that I know.”

“Well then you don’t get out much.” I mumbled, even though we both knew that he was more popular than me. I mean, I wasn’t a loser. I had my group of friends. But Dyson was the super popular, football playing girl magnet.

He chuckled. “Yeah, sure thing, babe. Here.” He said, handing me a walky talkie.

“What’s this for?” I asked as he fumbled with the channels.