Chapter 2

Castiel

"You've taken a liking to him I see." Castiel turned to his older brother and frowned.

"What are you talking about?" Gabriel chuckles and pats him on the shoulder.

"The blacksmith. I saw you eyeing that dagger the whole time." He unconsciously grabs the handle of the new dagger and runs his thumb over the intricate designs.

"It has magick in it." They stopped once they reached their horses and he showed him. Gabriel let out a small huh and smiled.

"I think he has just made my list." Gabriel had a list of people he thought were worthy of his gratitude. Castiel always thought it was stupid, but he would always tell him, "Trust me Castiel, these very few people will probably be of use later."

He sighed and put it back into its sheath. He mounted his horse and Gabriel followed suit. "I do believe he has. Father was right about the Winchesters being the best in the kingdom." The two brothers made their way back to the castle, small talk exchanged between the two of them and their guard.

As the castle grew closer, Castiel sighed awaiting the second he could get out of his armor and into more comfortable robes. He unmounted his horse and followed his brother through the stables into the kitchen. He nodded to one of the maidens who routinely grooms his horse and she bowed, making her way to the stables. "Do you think we should show father that dagger of yours?"

"I do suppose it wouldn't hurt." The two walked to the throne room in relatively pleasant silence.

"Father we have returned from the esteemed Winchester forge and brought something new." King Novak looked up from the book he was reading and smiled a bit.

"You must show me." He set the book down on the arm of the throne as Castiel walked up to him, pulling the dagger out of its sheath.

"The eldest son, Dean Winchester made it." He handed it gingerly to his father who's eyes widened in surprise.

"It is truly extraordinary craftsmanship. I must say, the boy has definitely picked up in the few things his father lacked." He handed it back to his son. "I assume that you're going to be the user of this piece?"

"Yes father, if that is alright." He nodded.

"You can go change if you wish. You won't need to leave the castle for the rest of the evening." Castiel nodded and headed to his chambers, happy to finally get out of the heavy armor.

He sighed contently as his wings brushed up against the soft cloth and he grabbed a book from one of his shelves. It was a book that was about the human body and nature; Queen Amara thought it was necessary for him to have it. He flipped to the last page he read and began to read.

He found that his mind often wandered back to the Winchester and he grew frustrated. He made the weapons for them, nothing more.

Dean

Dean let out a long sigh as he fell to the ground, exhausted.

"Get up. You have no time to rest." He nodded to his father and did as he was told. They began to spar again and Dean had remembered what had happened earlier.

"The Novak-" He dodged his father's blow. "brothers came by today."

"What did they say?"

"They said-" Block. "it was excellent work. Gabriel Novak praised Sam indirectly on the bow." Hit. Dean gripped his arm in pain. When his father trained with him, he didn't hold back. He resumed attacking. "Then Castiel Novak wanted to spar with me to test-" Dodge. "the efficiency of his twin blades that I forged. He also-" Hit. "took a liking to the dagger I made with mother's magick." His father stopped.

"Didn't you make that for the eldest brother?"

"Of course, I didn't think much of it. I'm sure he gave it to his brother." John patted Dean's shoulder.

"Good. Go ahead and changed. I will have supper ready in a few hours." Dean nodded and put the practice swords away and walked inside the house. He noticed Sam reading outside in the front and smiled a bit.

"What are you reading?" Sam looked up briefly before looking back down at the book.

"Just some history on the Angel-Demon war." Dean sat down next to his brother and looked at the book.

"Mother told me about that when I was only 6 winters old." Dean smiled a bit, reminiscing at the memory. "You were two winters old at the time and she would explain everything to the both of us, but you didn't understand much. She would always talk about the Angels in such a light that they were almost like God himself. She loved the Angels, she even said that she tried to join the human army, but they wouldn't let her."

"Why not?"

"Well, it was because she was a woman. Only men are allowed to be in the Army." Sam frowned.

"That's not fair. If she was willing then they should have let her join." Dean shrugged.

"Well, if she did, we wouldn't be here right now." Sam nodded, understanding. Suddenly, there was a rush of wings and Gabriel landed neatly in front of them.

He ruffled his wings before looking around a bit and then at Sam. "You're Sam, right?" Sam and Dean both frantically stood up and saluted respectively, clenched fist, arm over abdomen and a bow. "There's no need for that guys. Do you see me in my armour?" They straightened up and that's when Dean noticed that his clothes were in fact just normal ones. Absolutely nothing showing that he was of royalty except for his wings and the few strands of braided hair that had been intertwined with real gold.

"N-No sir." Gabriel chuckled at Sam's nervousness.

"No need for formalities. Just call me Gabriel." Sam nodded a bit.

"I am Samuel, by the way. Or just Sam." Gabriel grimaced a bit.

"Samuel seems too... Old for you. I'll stick with Sam." Sam smiled at that and so did Gabriel. "I was wondering, could you teach me how to make those bows of yours? I absolutely love how they function." Sam's face lit up and he nodded vigorously.

"Of course! Just follow me." He led the Angel to the backyard and Dean just walked inside.

"Who was that outside?" Dean almost jumped at the sound of his father's voice.

"It was Gabriel Novak. He wanted to know how Sam made his bows." His father nodded slightly, walking outside and Dean watched from the open window. When Gabriel noticed his presence, he looks up at John with an odd look that Dean couldn't quite place. It was gone as quick as it came and John bowed respectively at him. Dean noticed that he didn't correct him. That's odd.

They spoke briefly before John came back inside to finish cooking dinner. Dean looked over at his father curiously. Why would Gabriel be so formal with him and not us?

Dean didn't have time to answer the mental question because his father called him over. He walked over to him. "Yes, father."

"Keep an eye out for your brother. You never know what they could do." They. The Angels. Dean frowned at his father's words.

"What do you mean?"

"Just do as I tell you." It was at that point that Dean knew that he shouldn't push the matter any further.

"Yes sir."

Good god I'm so sorry for not updating this in like, 7 months. I just sort of forgot about it and then didn't know what to write... Now at least I know what I'm doing so expect a chapter much sooner now.