"Why do you have to go and say these things?" she complained.

"Because it's the right thing."

"Please," her voice cracked. "I don't know if I can handle this anymore."

"Yes, you can." He slid his hands up to her shoulders and pushed her back, capturing her eyes in his. "You're stronger than this."

His was gaze was intense, eyes boring deep into hers as though he was willing strength into her.

It was too much, and she dropped her head. She stared at their shoes and breathed out another long sigh. Words teetered on the tip of her tongue and bringing them forth felt like dragging a ten-kilo sack of potatoes. And, when they finally did, it was soft and broken.

"I know..."

Baulder's hands squeezed her shoulders.

"It's not her fault," she continued. "It's just, I don't know if I can forgive her. Even though I know there isn't anything to forgive. I just..." She looked back up the prince and grabbed onto his arms, pulling them from her. Released, she straightened her back and strengthened herself inwardly. "I'm sorry. It's not her fault. And, really, with her mum taken away, we should probably be helping her."

A soft smile curled up the edges of her warden's face and Justice put a hand on his chest, pushing him away.

"Don't be all smug. This wasn't you."

He raised his eyebrows and took a step back holding out his arms in mock surrender. "It was all you."

"Damn right."

He maintained an insufferable straight face and Justice turned on her heel and headed to the mirror to check her appearance. She wiped away smudged mascara and fixed her hair. "But, I'm still going to see dad about all of this."

Baulder grunted but said nothing.

Once she felt sufficiently back to normal, Justice went in search of Riley. She found the girl in the bedroom next to hers, sitting crossed legged in the middle of the bed. Upon seeing her tear stained face, Justice felt another pang of guilt.

She clasped her hands in front of her body. "I'm sorry, Riley."

The young girl looked up at her with a wary look.

"I shouldn't have done that. I'm sorry." Justice didn't expect Riley to forgive her straight away and the young girl seemed at a loss for what to say. "Everything has been so messed up. And all of it started with my dad. I'm going to go find out what's going on. I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with either of us, and we shouldn't have been thrown in the middle."

"I, um, actually have to go see him in the next twenty minutes."

"You do? Well, then I'm coming with you."

"Umm..."

"Look, I know you have no reason to trust me. But, I really am sorry, and the least I can do is come with you to find out what's going on."

Riley nodded and Justice smiled at her. When the young girl returned a small smile of her own, a sense of relief passed through her. Whether Riley had forgiven her or not, she wasn't sure, but it seemed that at least she wasn't harbouring hate.

——

The three teens made their way to palace and through the twisting corridors. High ceilings arched over them and rows of white marble busts occupied alcoves in the walls. Justice walked with a brisk determination, turning over in her mind what she might say to her father.