Chapter 2: A day in Muckfield

Anne Dilwyn.

That is the name I gave myself to start my new life.

A life without all the horrible things I've seen. Without all the horrible things I've done.

I'll never forgive people. I'll never forgive myself for being one of them.

That was something I told myself. That was something I upheld. Until that day.

...I was close to death. And underneath the cold eyes of that man, I saw a warmth I haven't felt for a long time.

So I decided to live on. Life might have been meaningless, but perhaps...just perhaps. If I were to follow this man, can I find meaning in life again?

* * *

James Dilwyn.

That is the name I currently have.

It has been one that is vastly different from the life I've had up till now, and one that has definitely opened my eyes.

I used to be so naive, and so dumb, but after what happened, I knew I had to leave the old me behind.

She gave me a new life, and raised me. She taught me how to live.

...and She died for me.

After that, I decided to close myself off. To not be nice...because there is only pain in the end.

Until that day.

That girl, close to death, her cold eyes reminding me so much of my own. However, I've seen too much of that to feel anything.

That is, until her stare let up and she showed me a warm gaze that reminded me of Her.

Something in my mind clicked and I decided to take her in.

Maybe...just maybe...

* * *

Breakfast is some simple chicken porridge along with 2 pieces of bread.

Well, it's not good to be too full for the hunt later, so I decided to let Lilla eat all the bread.

Or...well...Anne. I really should start thinking of her as Anne from now on, it's going to cost us a lot of trouble if I were to slip up in front of others.

Anne. Anne. Her name is Anne. Her name is Anne.

Got it.

After finishing the porridge, I put on my armour and grabbed my equipment while Anne is still eating her bread. For some reason, when it came to bread, she nibbles instead of wolfing it down. Perhaps it has something to do with her background?

Either way, now is not the time to think about that. It's already bright and sunny outside and I've got hunting to do.

After Anne finished her food and dressed up a little, we got out of the room.

The innkeeper still looks terrified of us. Poor guy.

"Keep the room for us for today, mister. We're going to stay again for the night."

"O-Okay. Enjoy your day, sir!"

The dude looks more than happy to send us out. Pfft. I won't blame him.

It's time to head for the hunting grounds.

* * *

James is very energetic today.