Stifled by sexual awareness, she averts her eyes. 'I didn't get the memo that you're off duty,' she teases, her eyes pointing to his attire.

He laughs, 'this was easiest.'

He did not want to confess his disappointment at not finding her in his bed when he awoke. He had put on the casual attire in haste so he could get to her as quickly as possible.

Aleska shakes her head. It was true. There was a strict regimen in donning one's uniform. It needed to be perfectly pressed before one dressed into it. It seems a waste at five in the morning.

'Aleska look!' Stone points to a thin column of smoke billowing from deep in the jungle.

She catches her breath. Whenever he speaks her name, she is breathless ... almost. She turns around follows where his eyes are trained. 'The communities boil the river water for drinking purposes and they cook with it on open fires as well.'

'Communities? I haven't met any in the three weeks we've been here!' She hears Stone's voice right behind her. His breath is warm at the nape of her neck.

'There are five or six in the near vicinity,' she informs him. 'They are deeply hidden. They have schools, clinics, small shops and public telephones as well.'

'Are they a threat?'

'Only to the environment.'

Stone hears the anger in her voice. There was worldwide concern for humanity's careless greed and barbaric butchering of the trees in this mighty jungle for the purposes of industrial wealth.

'They are largely responsible for the deforestation and degradation of the Amazon,' she laments. On her previous stint here, Aleska had heard the incessant drone of chainsaws hacking away prematurely at the trees. It was a sight for sore eyes seeing the decapitated giant trees. There was huge market demand for the trees that were felled and exploited for commercial use.

'We can't right the whole world,' he presses a kiss at her neck. His lips linger on her flesh erotically.

Again she shifts away from him. 'Go take a jog,' she murmurs.

'Are you saying that I'm --- unfit?'

'Now who's being defensive?' She laughs.

'Fine,' he sulks. 'I'll hike up to the Andes.'

'Silly,' she laughs as Stone leaves her to finish her duty.

Aleska is done with guard duty. It is almost time for breakfast. She smells the hearty aroma of bacon, eggs, toast from the dining tent. Earlier a slight drizzle caressed the dense jungle and within an hour the sun, had emerged, chasing the drizzle away

It was starting to warm up now even though a few clouds are visible over the canopy of trees.

Aleska pays a visit to the medical tent to check on McDouall before sitting for breakfast. She  expected him to still be sedated, but is surprised to hear McDouall talking to Stone.

'Thank you for rescuing me Colonel.'

'It was not me John. Major Maric saved your life.'

Aleska hears Stone's responding crisp voice.

'Nonsense Colonel. I saw you attending to me, and it was your voice I heard all the time. I know it was you.'

'John,' Aleska hears Stone inhale heavily. 'You were with the Major. You were attacked. Major Maric stabilized you and brought you back to base.'

'Stop it Colonel. I know you want her to fit in with our squad, but giving her credit for saving my life is going overboard.'

'I want you to rest now John.'