six | deep breaths

m a x

max
hey. i'm sorry about tonight. are you okay?

grace
i'll be fine. my parents are going to kill me though. i'm an embarrassment

max
grace. you'll never be an embarrassment and aren't now. even though they aren't happy about it doesn't mean we can't be. i'm happy about it, see?

grace
yeah. i see. i have to go to bed before they run in screaming at me.

max
okay. remember it'll work out. goodnight x

grace
goodnight max xx

-

i sent an 'x' and she sent one back. hehehe! this is working! we're closer and have a better relationship. i've changed. realizing now that i'm going to be responsible for not one, but two kids has brought to my attention the fact that change was needed. i accepted it and am both proud and happy i did.

-

"is she okay?" harvey asked worriedly as soon as i stopped texting her. "yeah she's good. i'm going to check on her later though. her parents are just not accepting it. i think they need time," i say to him, relieved grace is okay.

"that's good. yeah. they'll have to get over it sooner or later. i mean..they're her parents. you don't think they'd do anything harsh right?" he asked.

i thought for a moment. "they're her parents. what could they possible bear doing," i replied, hoping-no praying- that they'd understand.

grace is an amazing girl. i did this to her, but her parents are acting like she planned this. she didn't. i didn't. it's not her fault, it's more of mine.

-

the next morning i woke up and realized what had happened last night. i got up and lounged around for a bit on the couch until harvey came downstairs.

"hey," he said, rummaging through the cupboard for food of any sort. "hey," i replied, scrolling through instagram.

all of my friends went to a party last night. julian, sarah, every other popular person at the school i talk to.. i actually didn't care.

i was glad i didn't go, as weird as it was to admit.

they had pictures together, mostly of everyone kissing different people. for once in my life, it made me sick.

they all asked me why i don't go and i told them either i didn't feel like it, or i was at some girls place, which isn't a lie either way.

i still care about my reputation, as bad as it sounds. i just don't care about all the parties, snobs, players, and stupid things people like me do.

"what are you doing?" harvey asked, sitting beside me with cereal in his hands. "unfollowing these pricks," i replied, clicking unfollow on julian's page.

"oh.." harvey said, laughing a little. "so you've decided to not be a prick yourself?" he said laughing again.

i pushed him playfully, almost making him spill his cereal.

"hey! hey! no..not the cereal," he said, guarding it with his life and shoving a spoonful into his mouth.

i laughed.

"have you and grace talked today?" he asked, eating more and more.

i shook my head, a little worried about her. "talk to her then!" harvey practically yelled at me. "i don't want to invade her personal space," i said back. he nodded, finally understanding something. "i'll just wait and talk to her monday. she just needs time with her parents," i said, reassuring both myself and harvey. he nodded again an kept eating. i hope she's okay.

-

monday morning rolled around slowly. too slowly. i can't wait to see grace. i hope she's fine..i really hope she's fine.

i got up, walked into harvey's room and threw a pillow at him. we don't share a room anymore. our parents finally understood what personal privacy meant.

"max! what the f-" he started to say before i cut him off by grabbing the pillow and throwing it again. he removed it annoyed and threw it at me, missing. "hah! i win." i said, grabbing it and walking back to my room.

"you gonna talk to her?" he yelled after me. "yeah," i yelled back, shutting my door and doing my full morning routine. once i finished i walked into harvey's room to see him walking out of his bathroom and grabbing his phone. he looked at me.

"wow. you're ontime!" i said, sounding amazed. he rolled his eyes. "i wanna see grace too and not get a tardy! i need perfect attendance," he said, moving his hands in a 'duh' formation. i laughed. "les' goooo," i said walking out our front door to my car.

-

i got to school right as the bell rang. "dang it!" i said, hitting the steering-wheel. "you have her in your first period. it's okay." harvey said, is both getting out of the car and walking inside. deep breaths. deep, deep breaths max.