Ana's hammer rang with renewed fervor. He walked away from the smithy and headed in the general direction of the Citadel. The tower loomed overhead into the heavens, gazing down at the denizens of Sanctuary. In the Market District, merchants were hastily setting up their shops and taking stock. Soldiers belonging to either noble houses, or the Templarate, appeared to wander groggily in the direction of the Citadel. He padded along them and dodged a carriage, horses and other livestock. In the wee hours of the morning, he witnessed Sanctuary awaken.

Several of the Templarate were relieving one another near the entrance of the Citadel. Aristocrats of all races, shapes and sizes lined up as they presented their identification cards. Being a Justicar, he activated his Blessed Star as he neared. Stationed men addressed him with respect and reverence.

He merely nodded or murmured a response. Blending into the crowd, he attempted to make himself as small as possible. The gigantic chamber which allowed for gathering of personnel and final mission preparation seemed much smaller. He took a glance around and then found the entrance to a lift. He merely waited and slipped in with a crowd entering shortly afterward. The tiny box shook violently as it carried its passengers to their destination. A bell chimed overhead as he exited it behind the procession and into the hallway.

Its grandiose design fulfilled its purpose. Traffic flowed like water down a stream, two currents going in their respective directions. As he ventured into the beyond, he shook his head as torch sconces appeared from nowhere. Their haunting white flames renewed their horrific reign before they were swept away in the waters of the procession.

Gelehrter entered into the Council Chambers shortly afterward. The circular expanse was filling with people who faced the arena in the center, their expressions grim.

He glanced across the way to Ovelia, Arden, Rena and Gavilis. The trio were situated in their positions in accordance with Sanctuarian Law. Ovelia, the Sanguine Overlord, resting in the Eternal Throne, peered down at the procession which filled the chamber. Arden stood at Ovelia's right hand, the young heir taking stock of various Templarate soldiers who entered. Rena stood nearby, lower than Arden, Gavilis and Ovelia, almost concealed by the walls behind the throne. Gavilis, acting as Knight Undying, stood in front of his place and observed the crowd pouring in. He spotted Gelehrter and offered a nod of recognition.

Gelehrter caught Arden, Rena and Ovelia also glancing in his direction. They disguised their familiarity with an insignificant nod.

Ovelia stood upright and raised her hands solemnly as the crowed had taken their seats. She bowed her head, the masses standing upright. Surrounding the chamber, all Justicar—including Ovelia, Arden and Gavilis—activated their Blessed Star of Sanctuary if it hadn't been already. Their bodies shimmered for an instant as the dark armor stitched itself over their clothes. A low hum echoed in unison within the Council Chambers as Ovelia led the prayer.

"'O, Sanctuary and the Holy Father, guide us in your divine light. May our minds be unclouded and our bodies free of disdain, for we are but humble servants within your kingdom.'" As she recited the prayer, the congregation answered her.

"'O, Sanctuary and the Holy Father, guide us!'"

"Amen. The Council is now in session. All concerns, no matter how small, will be brought to light. Let any take the floor!" Ovelia commanded.

"I shall take the floor, my Overlord." A voice called. Accalia's platinum hair dazzled the on-lookers as she took the center of the arena. Her stark sapphire eyes seemed to glow in the dim light, her dress flowing like water. She padded quietly to her position and snapped her fingers.

The chamber hummed with low murmurs. A vampire, chained by the neck, wrists, and ankles, was dragged nearby into the arena. Her body was bereft of clothing, the humiliation taking shape in her visage. Templarate soldiers surrounded her while another tended to the chains, heaving her about like garbage. Her crimson eyes glanced about weakly before they settled onto Arden, Rena, Gelehrter and Gavilis. Then she glanced to Ovelia, as if hoping in desperation for any sign of pity.