2

"Meghan, this is the detective that is investigating your mother's death." Mr. Travertain says choking back his sobs.

"Detective Sandberg, miss." The detective says standing at Meghan's entrance. The detective shakes Meghan's hand. He notices that it's shaking and offers her a seat. 

Meghan takes the seat and offers him a small smile in return. He can tell that she's been crying, but even so the young teen likely has boys buzzing around her. She's a beauty.

Mrs. Travertain may not have been her biological mother but they still look very alike.

"The twins won't stop crying, dad. I can't get them to stop." Meghan says explaining her intrusion.

The detective looks at Mr. Travertain, "Go ahead and do what you need to. I would like to talk to each member of your family. The other officers are taking statements from the staff and your men."

Mr. Travertain nods his thanks, "Steve stay with the detective as he questions Meghan. Call our lawyer if he becomes disrespectful or accusatory in anyway." Steve nods sharply once to show he understands. 

Mr. Travertain turns to his oldest child, "Meghan, if Steve tells you enough you stop. Otherwise answer everything truthfully and to the best of your ability."

"Yes, father," Meghan says looking down and fighting her tears. She wipes the ones that escape away.

Sandberg hands her a tissue, "Thank you, detective."

"You're welcome," the detective says sitting once more and making himself comfortable and in a position that he will be able to watch Meghan as he gives his questions. "How old are the twins?" Sandberg starts off with a simple question to help ease her discomfort.

"They just turned six, we almost lost them and mom when they were born." Meghan says thinking a bit.

"No, there was no almost about it. Vee died as did the twins. They were all pronounced dead. Yet when Mr. Travertain went to say his goodbyes she came back and said the babies are fine. And they were."

The detective looks skeptical, "One of those hospital miracles?" Sandberg has heard of them, who hasn't? But he has never met anyone that was a recipient of one before. Steve merely shrugs.

"All I know, the doctor comes out saying Vee and the babies are gone and then Mr. T. goes in and shouts out in joy. A few days later they're all home where they belong." Steve says shrugging and just stating things as fact. He offers no opinion one way or the other.

"You call Mrs. Travertain, Vee, but Mr. Travertain by his name?" Sandberg is curious about this, but it's incidental information not really part of the investigation.

"Vee, she was informal and wanted us to feel more like a family. The boss, he didn't like that. Vee and he fought for months over it before he finally gave in," Steve explains.

Meghan snorts, "Steve is family. He's my uncle, Steve Travertain.

"Look I was distracting the kids while mom and dad were leaving. I didn't see anything, but I did hear the gun go off. I put a video on for the kids and left.

"I saw dad in shock begging mom to come back. I've never seen my father in such shape. He was absolutely devastated. I don't know what more I can tell you."

"Did you love your mother?" The detective is pretty sure of the answer to this question but has to ask it anyway.

"Vee raised me from a baby. When she left I was devastated. When I thought she was dead I was inconsolable. When dad brought her back home and told me they were getting married I was thrilled. It was my idea for her to adopt me.