Chapter 1- possibly the biggest mistake he has ever made

It was the poor interns first day at the lab. They'd heard many rumours about this place and were a more than a little nervous. But they couldn't give up now, they hadn't spent all that time in university for nothing. Getting into the royal lab was no easy feet and an excellent opportunity so they weren't going to give up.

The intern pushes open the main door and has a brief conversation with the lady running reception. They tell her that their the new intern, Codie, and the receptionist had passed him a poorly written note that told him what he needed to do. He thanked the receptionist and nervously headed towards the elevator.

He waited for it to arrive on his floor, and then stepped in quickly pressing the L4 button. As he waited he skimmed over the note again making sure he'd read everything correctly. When the ping of the elevator notified his arrival he stepped out into the long hallway. He hadn't gotten far when he was confronted.

"What are you doing down here?" The voice asked sternly.
"E-erm," Codie stammered turning to face the man, "I-I was j-just looking for-"
"You do know this area is restricted, right?" He asked a cold glare on his face.
"Erm, well I didn't, but-"
"Well maybe you should leave and find where your supposed to be?" They interrupted again. Before Codie could try and defend yourself a new voice joined the conversation.

"You better not be bullying the interns again!" They called leaning on the doorframe, door half open. "That's not your job!"
"Says you of all people," the man replied rolling his eyes.
"Aww," she teased opening the door wider, "your just jealous I get to be the doc's right hand man." Before he could argue, the new person was turning to you with a warm smile. "So whatchya doin' here kid?"
"Erm... y-you do know I'm 27, right?"
"She calls all the interns kid." The man replied, clearly fed up.
"That's because they're my children! Also, don't you have a job to be getting on with?" The guy stormed off down the corridor, letting out an annoyed sigh.

"Just ignore Laurens," she tells you, "he's always grumpy!"
"O-okay."
"So what are you doing here?" She asks.
"Oh, err, I have a note." You tell her pulling it out of your pocket. She skims the note with surprising ease, looking confused for a minuet before she lets out a loud 'ooh.'

"You recognise it?" Codie asked her hopefully.
"Course I do, I wrote it. Come on, Dr. Jade's probably waiting." The girl quickly took off to the left side of the corridor, catching Codie of guard. He had to awkwardly run to catch up with her. She was tall, but not a giant, and oddly enough her messy brown hair was left untied and she also wore a black lab coat. Suddenly the girl stopped on one of the end door, again catching Codie off guard, although this time he nearly walked straight into her.

"Careful kid," she warned, "That how accidents happen, I would know." Codie decides not to ask what she was trying to imply with that statement. The girl then turned and knocked loudly on the door. After a few seconds, it opened.

"What?" A short haired girl asked flatly.
"I found your child." The other Replied.
"You mean my new intern?" She asked clearly unamused.
"That's not the same thing." The First argued.
"No it's not." The other Replied like it was completely obvious. The first just laughed.
"Anyway, I'm Dr.Jade, it's nice to meet you," she said offering a hand, clearly fed up with the other girl.
"Oh, I'm Codie, it's nice to meet you." He replied.
"That there Is my assistant, Dr.Moon." Dr. Jade tells him pointing to the other girl.
"Hi." Dr. Moon says giving you an excited wave.
"Now, if you would've remembered, I have an important meeting to get back to, so I'm trusting you to look after Codie until I'm done, okay?"
"Of course!" Dr. Moon replied giving Dr. Jade a slightly nervous smile.
"Good. Don't blow anything up this time, okay?"
"Oh please, that was ages ago!" Dr. Moon says rolling her eyes, Codie still trying to process that sentence. Did she just say blow up?
"It was last week." Dr. Jade replied.
"Yeah, last week!"
"Just, behave, alright." Dr. Jade asked letting a long sigh.
"Don't I always?" Dr. Moon chuckled. Dr. Jade just closed the door going back to her meeting.

Codie decided he definitely didn't want to know what they meant by, 'don't blow anything up.' Having no idea what he was getting into. Dr. Moon gave him a seemingly off memory tour, mainly consisting of where she can and can't go without permission, and what's combustible and flammable. Swallowing a little nervously Codie starts to wonder if he had made the right decision. Well, he told himself as he walked down the hall, guess there's no going back now...