Cowardice and Courage

Draco and Hermione never made it to the library.

Their interaction with Harry in the corridor left both of them emotionally drained, especially Draco. Instead, they found themselves heading outside and they even managed to find an isolated area away from the curious stares of other students.

They were silent a while, and sat side by side with their backs against the trunk of a rather large tree. Neither could think of anything to say to comfort the other. Draco wasn't even aware of the silent tears streaming down his cheek until he felt Hermione brush them away. He could only imagine how pathetic and defeated he must have looked.

His father would be ashamed. If not for his attraction to boys, then definitely for openly displaying such weakness. That made him twice the disappointment. But sitting here heartbroken with Hermione, he just couldn't bring himself to care about what his father would think.

"That was very brave of you," Hermione said, finally breaking the silence and dragging Draco away from his own thoughts.

Draco barely managed to stifle a scoff.

"Brave? You did all the talking. I stood there like I was hit by an Immobulus charm."

He ripped up a piece of grass just to keep his hands busy. He couldn't bring himself to look her in the eye.

"You had the strength to shove the map into his chest. If I had come anywhere close to touching him I would have lost it."

Draco sighed.

"Bravery or not, we can't change what Harry heard."

"We can't know for sure that he heard you."

At this, Draco finally turned to face her, his heartbreak outweighing his shame.

"Hermione, your optimism would be endearing if it wasn't so misguided. You heard the same thud by the door that I heard right after I-I said what I said. And then you noticed the map. There's no possible way that he didn't hear."

"I've seen the looks he gives you and the way he acts when you two are arguing. What he shows is the looks of a man in love."

"How do you know?"

"They're the looks I wish I could give Harry."

Hermione knew he was right, and she could no longer deny it. She just wished there was some way to ease Draco's pain. He had done so much for her, but she felt useless not being able to help him. All she could do now was be there for him.

"I just never wanted him to find out. I never wanted him to have this kind of leverage over me."

"What do you mean?"

"I know I've been terrible to you and your friends. I've been terrible to him. I know I have. You know I have. Everyone at Hogwarts knows I have. What if he outs me? What if he somehow does worse?"

What if he never speaks to me again?

"Harry is many things, but he isn't cruel or spiteful. Revenge has never been a course of action for him. If it were, he would have done something about his sorry excuse of what he has left for a family by now, but he hasn't. Trust me, he would never do anything to harm you on a grand scale."

"Thank you, Hermione."

"For what?"

"For being here."

~ ~ ~

Hey I know this might kind of be a filler chapter, but I hope y'all enjoy. I really wanted to put something out there for leaving you guys hanging for so long 😅