chapter thirteen

✼ •• ┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈ •• ✼

chapter thirteen. the department store heist

❝i'm in your company, everything is dangerous❞ 

i'm in your company, everything is dangerous❞ 

✼ •• ┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈ •• ✼

THE PAIR ATTEMPTED to find the elevators in order to get to the bottom of this situation for themselves. As the Doctor continued to move his friend mentioned their situation previously with the family as she was still confused on how he was able to pass off the lie. "What'd you show them, the family? Unless you're judging hiding name tags in your pockets to pull out whenever you need to."

The Doctor smiled and took out the slip again to wave it in his hand. "Psychic paper. Shows the person exactly what it needs to." He looked at it again as he tucked it away. "Doesn't always work since it's based on perception but it's handy."

Eyeing it he noticed her doing this and gave her a look to indicate she wasn't going to have a chance to use it for herself. Letting out a sigh she attempted to look through the various heads in the store. "Think we're close?"

"Just about." He pointed it out for her to follow his hands to the steel towards. Nodding to one another they went in the direction of them before being stopped by one of the clerks. The android looked to the two of them with their arms outstretched holding a kitchen appliance.

From their face they were perpetually grinning, causing for Natalie to have an eerie sense of their situation as she looked over to the Doctor. "Would you—"

"That's quite alright, we were just leaving to the next floor." Attempting to move forward the two were stopped by the clerk blocking their path. The Doctor stopped to smile to the android curiously. "Yes?"

"By our calculations you have seen only 10% of this floor. Should you move to another floor you would have missed the various other sections within the store including, but not limited to, kitchenware, home decorations, and outdoor refurbishments."

Natalie gripped the Doctor's hand as he moved attempted to move forward. "Sure we'll catch it on the way back, shouldn't be too bad," The Doctor said before squinting to the mechanism with interest, "Unless of course this is going to be a problem."

The android didn't say anything at first leaving her to worry they had already gotten in trouble before their search even began. After a few moments the android buzzed to life again and stepped away to clear their path. "Of course. Thank you for shopping with Pournelle industries."