chapter eleven

✼ •• ┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈ •• ✼

chapter eleven. the existentialist

❝ been thinking about the future ❞

been thinking about the future

✼ •• ┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈ •• ✼

SITTING IN THE OFFICE of the career counselor in the middle of their meeting Natalie stared around the room in boredom as the older man scanned through her academic profile. Playing a game of I spy by herself in an attempt to avoid having to address potential careers she drifted from the worry the longer this progressed. She found a portrait of a wife and children, a taxidermy monarch butterfly pinned in a case, a shelf full of old English novels. "What are your hobbies, Ms. Stone?"

"Sorry?" He repeated the question for her to mouth an Oh and attempt to catch herself back into reality. "I travel, read, write. I'm a member of the student paper but only on the side. Don't put my name on there either, couldn't stand that.

"With your short stories, is that correct?" She nodded as he fumbled through the drawers of the desk in front of him. Handing her the pamphlets to the creative writing program for her master's she tried to hold in her laughter as she looked this over. "This is in Newcastle."

The counselor continued to beam despite her having faked her enthusiasm. "Commute isn't too bad. Could be something to think about."

She waved her head side to side to visually show this before shutting the pamphlet in her hands. "Don't know if I really want to go through another program anymore."

"Sure, sure." Natalie went back to her game as he went back to his computer, only lasting a brief moment before he spoke to her again. "Any particular reason? I mean your grades are good and—"

"Thought about taking a break actually, going traveling," She mentioned and laughed to herself over the suggestion, "School can always come around, don't you agree?"

The counselor didn't say anything and laughed along with her but only briefly before pointing to the pamphlet again. "If you do decide to join studies again, applications open next month. Think it over." Leaving the office she looked down to the brochure in her hands to contemplate it to herself.

Having the idea of going to a master's program did in fact cross her mind. It was the matter of how much more time she would be in school and what it exactly it was all for that it left her uninterested by the idea. She missed having her straight forward answers and knowing exactly what was ahead of her. Traveling with the Doctor was its own kind of fun, but that did not necessarily mean she hadn't changed significantly because of it.