Possessive

My eyes fluttered open to the sight of sun rays seeping through my window's curtains and lying on my covers. I turned my head to look to my night stand to look at the time on my alarm clock.

5:52 A.M

I groaned. Only 8 more minutes of cherished peace until I had to get up and get ready for my first day of my senior year at Smith Academy. My summer went by to fast. Way to fast. And I was going to miss it so much. I was going to miss staying up all night, talking to my best friend, Heather, on the phone (she moved to Queens, New York over summer vacation because of her dad getting a new job) and I was going to miss those days where I could do absolutely nothing and not have to stress over anything. And last but not least, I was going to miss sleeping in till noon surrounded by my non-dreaming, relaxing, slumber sessions.

My mind racing, I realized it was my first day. MY FIRST DAY. OF SENIOR YEAR. With that stuck in my head, I jumped out of bed and landed on the floor with a thud.

"Oomph!" I scratched my head and lifted myself off the floor with my slightly numb legs. I really needed to wake up. Dragging my feet behind me, I headed toward my bathroom. Of course, knowing me and how clumsy I can be, I managed to trip over my own two feet and before I could catch myself, my face met the hardwood floor of my bedroom. 

I let out a grunt and rolled over onto my back. This was not the best way to start my first day of Senior year. I was a Senior now. I was 17 years old. I should be able to manage not triping in the morning. That was when my thoughts floated back to Heather. Heather. My best friend. Who lived 3 hours away from me and was going to a different school. She was going to graduate in a different school. We weren't graduating together.

The shock of the truth hit me hard. I stared, blankly, at the popcorn ceiling of my bedroom for a few moments before I felt a tear slip from my eye, and roll down my cheek. I missed her. I missed my best friend. I missed my sister. Even though Heather wasn't actually my sister, we've known each other since we were in 1st grade and we've been best friends ever since. It was going to be so hard to go through Senior year without her.

Heck, just imagining my Senior year without her sent my heart on a race and I could feel tiny drops of sweat start to form on my forhead. Heather has always been my backbone. I was the shy and sensitive one and she was the tough and out-going one. She could always out curse someone in a virbal fight and she was very well known for not backing down until she was proven right or she got her way. Heather and I were like 2 peas in a pod.

Well, we still are, but.... it's hard. She's so far away. I can't believe I have to spend-!

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!

And there goes my alarm clock.

Blinking away some more tears that were forming in my eye, I got up and walked over to my alarm clock to shut it off. 

"Fay! Are you up?! Come downstairs! Breakfast is ready!" My mom called from the kitchen.

I shooked my head. Leave it to my mother to be up before me on my first day of Senior year. I quickly ran into the bathroom and pulled a brush through my knotted blonde hair and changed into a button up, plaid t-shirt and ripped denem jeans. Then, I slipped on a pair of socks and headed out my bedroom door and down the stairs.

"That's what you're waering on your first day?" My mom narrowed her eyes at me from the kictchen table as I walked into the room. She had the newspaper in one hand and a cup of hot tea in the other.

"Morning to you too, Mom." I said, rolling my eyes and taking a seat across from her. Set on the table before me was a huge breakfast of homefries, eggs, bacon, sausage, toast, and a glass of orange juice. My eyes widdened and I looked at my mom with a you're-really-expecting-me-to-eat-all-this glare. She smiled and raised the cup to her lips.

"I told you I made breakfast." She said before taking a sip.

I sighed and looked back down at the monster meal that was laid before me. My stomache flipped just looking at all the food. I took another quick peek at my grinning mother as I picked up a piece of toast and began taking bites. An awkward silence filled the room.

"So, you really don't like what I'm wearing?" I peeped up, looking at my mother, then down at my outfit, then shifting my gaze back to her face.

"I was only kidding, Fay. You look wonderfully average and dull, as always." She joked, raising her eyebrows to me.

I grinned, "And that's just the way I like it."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Once I finished my breakfast, I put on my navy blue converse that were placed next to the front door and grabbed my bag off the couch.

"Honey! Don't forget your sweatshirt!" My mom said, standing next to the front door with my faded, orange sweatshirt in her hand. 

"Mom, it's September. I can go without a sweatshirt and I promise you that I won't freeze my butt off."

She put one hand on her hip and she glared at me. Her eyes were challenging.

"But, I guess taking it along with me won't hurt." I sighed in defeat as I took the sweatshirt out of her hand. She smiled with victory and hugged me.

Then, she whispered in my ear, "Be good on your first day. It's your Senior year. Don't mess it up." 

I laughed and hugged her back, shaking my head, "Thanks for the confidence in me, Mom. You always know what to say."

She pulled back and a smug smile covered her face.

"You're welcome."

Just then I heard the bus horn and I looked out the door to see the yellow machine of misery parked infront of my house. Not meeting the driver's eyes, I held up my pointer finger and turned back to my mom.

"When are you getting out of work today?"

"7 o'clock."

"Okay."

I turned back to the school bus and I was about to make my way out the door when I felt a hand on my shoulder and I froze.

"Fay," My mother said, "Good-Luck."

I smiled to myself and nodded, "Thanks." 

I walked over to the bus and got in, taking the first seat that was available on the left sife, I shifted my gaze out the window as we were pulling away from the sidewalk. I could see my mom standing in the doorway, waving to me 'Good-Bye'. I smiled at her and waved back. And I swore, that before I couldn't see her face anymore, a tear rolled down her cheek. That's when I knew.

This was the beginning of my Senior year and nothing would be the same again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Like it? :) Comment?

Tell me what you think!

I'll be posting the second chapter to Possessive sometime this week, maybe tomorrow....

I don't know!

I just know I'm going to have a great time writing this story and I hope you all enjoy reading it!

Until next chapter!

~Tia