Running...

3029, Princeps District

London never was good at stealing. He can't even look at the guy he is about to swindle. Arlo told him he needed to get a port if they were going to get out of the district, but ports are hard to get if you don't know how to get them.

"Our selections of ports are limited but we might have something decent in the back." The clerk turns to go to the back of the store. London can't do it. It goes against what his parents taught him. He goes to the door at the front of the store. Arlo was waiting for him.

"So? Did you get the port?" Arlo was eager to see an older model. Arlo and London have been friends since London could walk. They did everything together. Have class together, party together, and as of recently running away together.

In the United Republic, their lives were planned from the moment people were born. Their entire lives have been made already, like, when and where they will work, who they will marry and when, what they eat for breakfast that day, when they get their first girlfriend. Everything is by design to make the Republic perfect. All of the information is stored in a chip in their wrists. If you didn't like what your life would become, you could be "reprogrammed". But it is a painful process in which they put you to sleep, erase your memory, and basically restart your life. Hardly anyone does it.

Four weeks ago Arlo told London that he wanted to run away because he hated what the U.R. wanted him to do. He would have to marry the popular girl at school, Tya, and become a monitor. Tya was one one the richest and most prettiest girls and was always trying to get with him. Even though he had to marry her, he hated her with all his guts. Monitors are the most hated people in the U.R. because they have to stop any sign of rebellion by killing the rebels. Arlo wanted nothing to do with Tya or monitoring. He thought London would be perfect for running away because his chip had nothing on it.

When London was a baby, his chip was wiped and left on the street to die. A couple just happen to come along and found him before any monitors could come and possibly reprogram him. They took him in and told him his chip was forgotten when they were programming the newborns. But when he turned sixteen, his parents told him the truth about how they found him and his chip. Arlo knows they will find London and when they do they will reprogram him. So they decide to escape from the Princeps district and go to the Klein district.

"I could- couldn't do it," London can't even look at Arlo because he knows Arlo is mad at him, "I got too scared and chickened out."

"Hey. It's okay. Just please look at me," Arlo lifts London's head lightly so he can look at him. London is shaking now, "We'll just find another store. I pushed you into that too fast and it's my fault." London looks at his eyes. Arlo has these big, dark chocolate brown eyes that you could get lost in if you look too long.

Arlo lets go of London so they can leave before the clerk comes looking for them. Arlo towers over London by six inches. So, London finds it easier to look down when he thinks Arlo is mad at him, which he never is. Being friends this long means it's hard to be mad at each other for silly things.

"So, did you finish your World War V homework?", Arlo says. He tries to make small talk with London to ease his nerves.

"No. I got confused why the 'Uhane district demanded Taketake district's revenue from Air Lifts." London knows what Arlo is doing but he doesn't mind because it means he isn't mad at him.

They walk and talk for awhile as Air Lifts zoom past. They talk about weird things like "Why do girls like strong guys?" or "Why does the king have so many monitors?". They also talk about serious things like what will happen if they get caught and what does reprogramming feel like. Tall, metal buildings tower over head. Ports buzzed with people, messages, and games. People walk in and out of shops. Bots follow people carrying their stuff and talk to them. Children run around in parks and fountains. The day is warm for the middle of the summer in their district but it's perfect weather for walking around the city.They do this for hours till London is calm again and Arlo is tired.