30 ~ Sour as an Old Hag

Start from the beginning

"It's fine," I said. I hadn't minded in the slightest. A knock on the door made me scowl. "Who is it?"

"It's Archer."

Lottie got out of bed and padded over to the door, wrenching it open to reveal my little brother. He grinned at her. "Had a good sleep?" he asked, eyeing my shirt which she was still wearing.

"Shut up," I said.

He moved his gaze to me and smirked. "Mum wants to see you. Oh, and Charlie."

I worked my jaw and took a deep breath. I noticed Lottie glance at me with drawn eyebrows. "Just Mum?" I asked.

"Yeah, just her."

"When?" Lottie said.

"As soon as you're ready. She's in her office."

"That should be fine. Right, Ben?"

I looked at her hopeful expression and felt myself nodding. I couldn't say anything, though. I didn't know what to say. What did my mother want to talk to us about? And why without my father?

"Well, okay. I'll leave you guys to your...devices then," Archer said, winking at Lottie. She giggled as she closed the door, and I rolled my eyes.

"Ben?" Lottie said, walking up to me. I stared down at her and raised my eyebrows. "How's your hand?"

"It's fine," I said, shrugging. There were a few scratches and some bruising, but nothing big. I've had worse.

I blanked out when she grabbed my hand to examine it. "I'll put some ointment on it later," she promised.

"No need." I gently removed myself from her grip. "What are you going to wear, Lottie?"

She smiled. "I'll just wear my dress again. It doesn't smell that bad. Ben?"

"What?"

She beckoned, and I bent my head so that she could whisper whatever she was going to in my ear. But instead, she turned her head and kissed my cheek, and then dashed into the bathroom.

And she just left me there to stand like an idiot, a vacant expression on my very, very red face.

***

There was an uncomfortable silence. Mum shifted in her chair, and Lottie scooted closer to me on the sofa we sat on.

"How are you, Mrs. Fisher?" Lottie asked to break the silence.

My mum smiled politely at her. "I'm doing well, Charlotte. And you?"

She grinned broadly. "Oh, just grand."

Mum leant back in her chair and regarded Lottie thoughtfully. I frowned. What was she thinking? "Yes? And why is that?"

"Because I figured something out that makes me very happy."

"And what did you figure out?"

Lottie winked at my mother. "Secret," she stage-whispered.

My mum laughed, and I knew that Lottie had won her over, like she did with literally everyone she met. "I have one question, Charlotte."

"You can call me Charlie, Mrs. Fisher."

Mum smiled, and it surprised me. It had been a long time since I'd seen her smile like that, with her eyes all crinkled up. 

I took a deep breath. "Mum, why did you really call us in here?" Lottie's gentle hand touched one of mine, which I didn't even realise had been clenched in a fist. I relaxed enough for her to slip her fingers through mine and squeeze reassuringly.

Mum sighed, and the worry lines appeared again. "Benjamin, I just wanted to talk to you about your father."

I closed my eyes at her words. My chest felt tight. "Okay," I said. "Talk away."

"Look honey, I know he's been hard on you in the past, and I know that-"

Lottie's obnoxious ringtone interrupted my mother. "I'm so sorry, Mrs. Fisher, but I really think I should take this," she said, smiling apologetically.

My mum waved her off. "No worries, darling. Take your call."

Lottie shot a wavering smile at me and squeezed my hand before darting outside. My gaze followed her and I frowned. I knew that squeeze wasn't just to comfort me, but her as well. All thoughts of my father flew out of my head.

"Ben? Ben."

I jumped and looked at my mum. "Pardon?"

Mum pursed her lips. "If you're so worried about the girl, go check on her. We can talk in a minute," she said in amusement. My eyebrows raised in surprise, but I surged to my feet.

"Thanks, Mum," I said, bending down to kiss her on the cheek. I strode over to the door and opened it quietly. Lottie's back was to me when I stepped outside.

"O-okay, I'll be right there," I heard her say, before hanging up.

Her voice had cracked while speaking, and I was so worried that I took her shoulders and spun her to face me. "What's wrong?"

Lottie looked up at me, a couple of tears trickling down her cheeks. My heart fairly cracked. "I need to go," she said. "Delia called. My dad's in the hospital, I need to go now."

"I'll take you," I said immediately, my hand moving to rub the tears off her cheeks. This had never happened to me before, the whole aching because of someone else. 

"No," she said, just as quickly. She stepped away from me and I frowned. "No, Ben, you need to stay here and sort things out with your dad. But I need to go see mine, okay?"

"I can take you," I said firmly. I needed to take her. I couldn't let her go like this.

She rubbed her eyes quickly and looked at me. She smiled, and that was the little gesture that hurt the most. "Stay with your family, Ben," she said softly.

"I'm not comfortable letting you go in this state." We stared defiantly at each other for a minute, me crossing my arms and Lottie trembling ever so slightly.

"I'll be fine," she said.

"I want to make sure of that myself."

"I'm happy you feel like that, but I want to go alone!" Lottie stopped speaking and looked down, wiping at her face again. Her small frame seemed even smaller when she curled into herself like that. Like she was trying to protect herself from me.

I felt strange inside. My chest tightened and my head hurt and I knew I didn't want her to leave without me. "Lottie," I began.

"Ben," she said. "Please."

Maybe it was the heartbroken look she gave me, or the way her hands trembled, or how her big eyes glistened, but I felt myself weakening. "Make sure to call me when you reach," I said.

She smiled, and it was genuine this time. "I promise," she said.

"Don't talk to anybody, don't look at anybody, and if anybody looks at you funny, call the police, okay?"

The look in her eyes softened and it made my insides flame up like a campfire. "Okay."

"And for heaven's sake, don't you dare ever-"

Lottie cut me off in the middle of my sentence, but not with words or by smacking me or anything like that. She took a step forward, pulled my face down to her level, and kissed me.

I was so shocked that I completely froze, but then she moved her hands to my hair and made this small squeaky sound and I just lost it. There was only one coherent thought in my mind.

I think I was in love with Charlotte Carter.