"Well, I did the actual chopping of wood, but he watched from a safe distance and softened up the wood with his plastic sword first, so he was a big help," Steve grinned, bending down to pick up his young son. You shook your head in laughter, realizing that life had come full circle. Steve had become the lumberjack once again, just like when you met him. "Everything go okay?" he asked you.

Bringing your mind back to the present, you nodded and grasped Steve's hand in yours as you headed toward the house. "Yup, no problems. No one recognized me from when I was there months ago and if they did, they figured I was just passing through again. There was a little road work down south, but not much delay," you replied, stifling a yawn.

"Huh. I'll mark that on the map. How are you feeling? What did the doctor say?" Steve asked as you walked through the doorway and he set Grant down and the boy headed for his toys.

You grinned with a hand on your belly. "Everything looks perfect. Our little avocado is growing just as it should be."

The brightest smile split Steve's handsome, bearded face as he placed a hand over yours on your growing bump. He leaned down and pressed a kiss to your clothed stomach. "I can't wait to meet you. Daddy loves you," he murmured with emotion in his voice.

You combed your fingers through is butterscotch locks and smiled down at him with affection. Steve was an amazing father to Grant and he enjoyed seeing the growing stages of his son, but experiencing the pregnancy side of parenting brought out an even softer, gentler side of the man you loved with your whole being.

"So, what's the verdict?" Steve asked as he straightened up, wrapping an arm around your waist.

Digging a hand into your purse, you plucked out a DVD in a white paper sleeve. "I didn't look, I swear. The sonogram technician said she made clear notes on the recording, so..." you trailed off with an expectant smile.

Steve pressed a kiss to your temple and took the DVD from you. "We'll watch it after dinner. I'll unload the truck, why don't you put your feet up for a while?"

You'd argue, but the long drives were getting harder on your pregnant body, so you just nodded. "Okay. I love you."

"I love you, too," Steve echoed with a smile, pressing a kiss to your lips this time before you headed for the bedroom.

Having a second child wasn't exactly in the plans, but so much of your life had been full of surprises since Steve returned to that small town in the mountains where you met. Reconnecting, Steve finding out he had a son, you two falling in love, and then the sudden uprooting of your entire life had all been a whirlwind. Thanks to your former boss, the life you had built with your son had become unsafe.

Ted's so-called "declaration of love" and sudden demands upon your future had shaken you to the core. Because you had rejected him, you found yourself unemployed, not to mention the threat of Steve's secret being found out. Thankfully, Natasha had arrived and she was able to use her know-how and connections to move all three of you out of state within 24 hours.

Bags were packed, plans were made, and in the wee hours of the morning, you all climbed into your car and hit the road without looking back. The journey took several days, taking an indirect route and staying in cheap motels paid in cash so you could all rest. Natasha had gone ahead to make sure the route was safe and that our final destination was ready.

Grant saw it as a fun adventure a first, but soon he tired of being in the car. To remedy that, sometimes you would stop the car in the middle of nowhere and let him run around while you ate whatever food you were able to pick up. These short stops consisted of desert nights with skies full of stars, cool streams where you sat on the bank and let your feet dangle in the water, cornfields with stalks taller than Steve, it all just became part of the journey. It was worth it to see the look of wide-eyed wonder on your son's sweet face.