Waking up today to find his brother in his home, was the worst thing that ever happened to him. Shooting Daniel didn't take a lot of  consideration, for the world already believed him dead. Julius was simply confirming the world's belief and putting a genuine end to his brother.

“My Lord?!”

Jerking his head upright in surprise, Julius found his butler staring wide eyed at something. He traced the butler's surprised gaze to the gun in his hands and immediately swore.

“This...” The words died on his lips the instance he saw a young maid standing behind the butler, gawking at him. How in hades did they hear the sound? Surely the music playing in the other part of the house and the door was enough to drown out the sound of the gun going off! Suddenly remembering the screaming child who had walked in just as he pulled the trigger, he decided the opened door must have let out the sound and alerted his butler.

He turned to the child who had her face buried in Daniel's chest, muttering the word 'Pa'. Julius wasn't aware his brother had sired a child other than the one with Lady Hadley, but he didn't care, he had bigger issues on his hands. Raising his pistol to kill his butler as well, he was just in time to find the maid scurrying away.

Frightened, the butler raised his hands up in the air and shook his head. “Please.”

Julius knew it was pointless, the maid would alert his guest upstairs. What was the use adding another man's murder to the list? How many more people would he have to kill to keep this a secret? Hopeless, he sighed in resignation and held out the gun to the butler. “Take it.” The butler trembled like leaf being shaken by a heavy breeze and shook his head. “Now!”

Nodding quickly, he took the gun from Julius. Turning from the butler, Julius faced Daniel who now laid dead in his own pool of blood.

“Put it down!” There was a stern command from down the hall as well as a loud bang. Turning sharply, Julius was just in time to find the butler crashing to the ground.

“Lord Talbot?!” A handful of men appeared, one of them carrying a pistol of his own. “Lord Talbot! Oh, thank goodness!” The man with the rifle, Mr. Jerks, a business associate of his, pulled him into a hug. “Thank goodness we got here on time.”

For a second, Julius was confused. But as Mr. Jerks continued to pat his back in a fond manner, he realized, slowly, that the people believed him the victim. A soft chuckle escaped his lips; they believed him the victim and he would get away with his brother's murder.

✴✴✴

There was no certainty, the messenger had said. There was no certainty Daniel would survive the night he had left Italy to journey to Birmingham to inform the Talbots of their sons critical condition. There was a hundred percent chance he would die before the family even thought to make the trip to Italy to be with him. There was no point to the journey, he would die anyway.

Yet, even before the messenger was finished speaking, Hadassah was heading for the front door. Her mind reeled with the small hope the messenger brought with him. Her heart pounded loudly in her chest, threatening to burst forth from her ribcage. Daniel was alive! Injured, but alive! And it was all she cared about.

Holding on to the little glimmer of hope offered to her, she journeyed with the Earl to Italy, all the while praying desperately she would arrive to find Daniel alive and well. Surely he would hold on to life for her sake, surely he would survive this!

“You should eat something.” The wind carried the familiar voice to where she stood clutching the railings of the ship. “You mustn't starve yourself, you need your strength.” Earl Talbot stood beside her and gently took hold of her shoulders, turning her to him. He stood before, his features soft and his eyes filled with understanding. “What use is a sick woman to a sick man?”

Hadassah shook her head, wanting nothing but to be left alone. Yet, she couldn't turn from Lord Talbot, the only one who had bothered to be kind to her. Lady Talbot on the other hand was cruel and did nothing to hide her hatred towards Hadassah. While Hadassah understood the woman's change in attitude towards her, she couldn't say she enjoyed it. Thankfully, Lady Talbot remained in Birmingham with the baby.

“I would rather sick than dead, my lord.” She murmured. “I would rather a sick husband.”

“We will know in a few days.” He patted her shoulder lightly. “For now, I shall insist you eat something. I have requested a feast be prepared in the dining area.” She shook her head but Lord Talbot simply unclasped her hands from the railing and led her to the grand dining area of the ship where she had two spoonfuls of soup, a glass of water and called it a night.

The days that followed saw Hadassah mostly anxious about getting to Italy and Lord Talbot mostly insistent on having her eat something. He put his foot down one evening, ensuring she eats her entire slice of pie and down her cup of tea. She felt sick after but thankfully, she was in the confines of her cabin when the meal came spewing out of her lips, lest Lord Talbot orders another round for her.

When the ship landed in Italy, Hadassah was physically and emotionally sick. Lord Talbot tried to have them board in a hotel but she insisted they leave for Julius' estate. She couldn't stay another second without seeing Daniel, she would die if she tried.

It was midnight before the carriage pulled to a halt before the grand building that was the Talbot's. Hadassah didn't wait for the footman's help to climb down the carriage, or race up the front stairs. She pounded on the massive door and stepped aside the second she heard the locks being removed. A plump woman with graying hair appeared.

“May I help you?” Her hand clung to the doorknob. Before Hadassah could respond, the maid's eyes seemed to bulge in size. She pushed the door wide open and bowed to the waist. “My Lord.”

“Have my son meet us in the parlor.” Lord Talbot took Hadassah's hand and led her into the building. She didn't bother to glance around, her heart fixed on one person alone and her legs fighting the urge to race through the building in search of him.

They waited in a cozy parlor, furnished the fit the wealth the Talbots possessed. A few minutes later, Julius arrived. Hadassah found herself glancing at her feet as he approached, fearing she would lurch for him with her fists.

“Father!” She heard his nervous laughter as he embraced his father. “Lady Hadassah.” She sat still, refusing to acknowledge him. “I... I welcome you. Please, sit.”

She sprang to her feet. “Where's Daniel?”

A small smile passed Julius' features, before being replaced by a somber look. “Near death. He isn't here, my lady.”

“Take me to him.”

Julius and Lord Talbot protested her request, both insisting it was too late to journey to the estate where Daniel was slowly dying in a Physician's home. Still, Hadassah knew he could pass before she got the chance to see him. She knew she couldn't wait until day break.

Two hours later, she was seated in a strange room, hands clutching tightly to the hand of the man who was her entire life. She cried then, tears kept buried in the depth of her soul for many many weeks. Tears she had forbidden herself from shedding, tears that had slowly but surely drowned her on the inside.

Daniel laid still before her, deathly still. His breathing was shallow and his skin was pale. His hair had been shaved, leaving him bald, his face was swollen, and his lips were ashen. He was nothing like the man she married. But it was Daniel and she would have him; blind, lame, bald, deaf! She would have him however way God was merciful enough to hand him to her, she would have him as long as he was alive.

“I love you. Oh Daniel, I love you. Don't leave me! Don't leave me! Don't... ” She leaned forward and kissed his limp hand. “Don't go!”

Copyright © 2018 Lily Orevba All rights reserved.