Hot Topic Words

A few words people did not like being used:
Slut
Colored
Bipolar
Abortion
African

Honestly, though, all these words are used FREQUENTLY in daily life. Yes, each is a hot topic that gets pretty much anyone riled up with their own opinions.

But, I need to say something more about three of these in specific.

Slut: *sigh* Okay, so here's the deal. Once again, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, including the characters in my books. Yes, you can wear whatever you want, you could run around naked (I don't recommend it though! You could get into trouble) and it would be okay. So, the word 'slut' is mentioned a few times throughout my series.

Quite honestly, when I personally see someone that is comfortable enough to show so much skin or wear tight clothing, I admire them. I admire them because I am not comfortable enough to show so much skin and wear tight clothing. So, with that said, it's not MY own opinion in these books. My characters have their own opinions. If they think someone is a 'slut' that is THEM speaking. That is how THEY think.

Colored: I honestly believe that even if I had used the words "darker skinned" people would have had the same reactions. It's like you didn't want me mentioning he had a different skin color altogether. I didn't want to use "tanned" because his skin wasn't tanned. I wasn't going to use the word "black" because that would have set everything on fire (metaphorically speaking). And I didn't want to describe it like "dark chocolate skin" either.

I thought it was good to mention that not everybody in my books is caucasian. Sebastian saw the lawyer as "colored" and that's that. It was NOT meant to be offensive to anyone and I don't understand how it was "racist". Someone told me to change it, change it to what exactly? What would make it not sound "racist"?

So please, explain to me how it was racist. If it truly is "racist" I will remove it all together so it can not offend anyone else.

Abortion: Sebastian mentioned how HE didn't believe in abortion. For some reason, people took it to heart and thought it was ME that had said that. That is the way SEBASTIAN thinks. He doesn't believe abortion is right, that is how HE, a FICTIONAL character, thinks. Someone even commented that I should change it so Sebastian doesn't have that thought process about abortion.

Sorry, but no, I am not going to change how Sebastian feels about the topic. Abortion is a real issue in today's society, so why remove it? Sebastian is pro-life, he doesn't believe that abortion is right. He did not tell ANYONE that they shouldn't get one. He didn't go off with a tantrum about how it's murder. So please, try to keep an open mind that I was trying to keep it realistic.