Salt in the Wound

'...I can't believe it! We got separated!'

The walls of Hotel OJ were way, way too orange, like oranges in an orange basket. They felt like they were way too close in the thin hallways.

Being inside made Apple feel queasy. Nothing was blue like the sky, or green like the grass. And there were no flowers to smell or grass to walk on. It all felt so fake.

How did anyone stay inside all the time? It was so weird and unnatural!

But there was something even weirder afoot.

'She seemed mad. Is she upset that I got eliminated? Was she just having a bad day?'

Life was so much harder without the coolest person ever there! There was a hollow spot at Apple's side, a part of her arm that felt exposed.

And it'd only been, what, a day?

'Did I mess up?'

'...No, she's been like that for a while.' Her heart sank. '...What'd I do wrong, anyway?'

XXX

The dense forestry around them did Apple no disservice. She had a sharp instinct for all things Marsh, after all.

"Marsh, there you are! Haha, I've been looking all over for you!"

Apple hugged her. Marsh went eerily still. "I found a really neat tree to climb. Wanna come see?"

Marsh shoved her away. "Do you not know what 'leave me alone' means, or is your peanut-sized brain just that stupid?"

Apple laughed off the insult. "I know what it means! But being alone sucks. That tree won't climb itself!"

"I'd rather fall from a tree than spend time with you!"

"Huh?"

Marsh shoved past her and stormed off. Apple rubbed the warm spot on her arm where Marsh had pushed her.

'She must be having a bad day for the sixth time in a row... I wonder when she'll stop saying we can't hang out? When'll we draw together again?'

XXX

The day hadn't come where Marsh miraculously decided to hang out with her again. When Apple was eliminated, Marshmallow watched with gladness, not sadness!

It was really confusing, but mostly it made her sad.

Apple wanted to hug her.

"You've, like, walked through here five times now."

Apple turned around to see Pepper. Or was it Salt? She never really knew the difference, anyway. But she was tall and gray and looked veeeeeery irritated right about then.

"Oh. Sorry. I'm just..."

"Lost in thought?"

"Yes?" Whatever that meant.

"That's new." Pepper rolled her eyes. "Anyway, where are you going? Salt wants to take a power nap, and I'm not letting your dumb pacing disturb her."

"My room. But I'm lost."

"Fine, whatever. What room is it?" Apple handed her the key. Pepper scowled. "You aren't even on the right, like, floor."

"Oh."

"This is floor one. Your room is on floor three."

"Sorry." Apple looked down.

Pepper looked surprised, then said, "It's no big deal! You don't need to cry about it." She put on a bright grin and added, "In fact, I can escort you! Just follow me."