Close To You

Elenore and I had returned home from our visit to London in a dreamy silence, both with satisfied smirks stretched across our faces. I hadn't explained to Harry what I'd been so thankful for, but he hadn't been one to pry, so I'd been able to enjoy the rest of the day without delving into the more pitiful truths about my life. Nola had behaved surprisingly well considering she'd been passed amongst the band as if she were the prize in a game of pass the parcel. She'd ended up asleep on Harry's chest while we were looking at clips of their last London concert. Zayn had wanted to us to get a better understanding of the atmosphere at an O2 arena concert.
"Of course you'll only really know if you experience it first hand. Harry could get you tickets if you like?" He'd said.

I hadn't really been paying attention to the footage, or Zayn's offer of concert tickets, unlike Elenore who had been cooing over every move or noise Niall had made on the stage. Instead I'd been looking sideways at Harry and our daughter, wanting desperately to get my phone out and capture the perfect image forever. That sight was enough to make me forget all the reasons why I'd been hesitant to tell Harry about his daughter in the first place. They looked so content and fit together as if they had been one another's missing piece of jigsaw. I was aware of the fact that I wasn't part of this picture nor was I the only person that Nola needed anymore,  but quite frankly - and for a change - I was too happy to care.

Elenore had been unsuccessful in bagging a date with Niall, but they had exchanged numbers and he'd kissed her on the cheek when we said goodbye. Mind you, so had all the boys, but Elenore was adamant that he was into her and it was because of the make up.

"In our speeches I'll make sure to thank you for not driving too fast and ruining my chances with him." She'd gushed. It had taken me a while to realise that she was referring to their wedding which was apparently in the foreseeable future. I didn't have the heart to break it to her that the only wedding she'd be attending with Niall any time soon would be Zayn's. 

She was online now, the laptop positioned on her knees, scrolling through the 'Niall Horan' results on Goodle images. Every so often she would let out a small sigh and smile as though she had become completely infatuated. I felt as though I'd created a monster. 

"I think he'd be creeped out if he knew you were doing that." I told her, gesturing to the screen. 

"He looks better in person." She practically drooled. "Oh, Marnie, how I love you for hooking up with Harry Styles." 

"I'd rather be loved for other things, but I'll take that. Thanks." I laughed. 

I reached for the remote to switch on the television but was interrupted by the persistent buzzing of my phone in my pocket. Harry's name flashed up on the screen.

"Hey - aren't you supposed to be on stage?" I asked nervously. 

"Nice to speak to you too!" He snorted. "No - still got an hour or so. Thought I'd check in." I smiled into the phone.

"We're all good here," I told him. "Nola's obviously in bed though. She's still exhausted from yesterday."

"Louis was pretty exhausted before we'd even got on stage last night. I think being an aeroplane tired him out!"

"She'll miss you all so much while you're gone." I sighed. Elenore, sensing that the subject of the call had dropped to a more serious and emotional one, closed the laptop and left the room, mouthing at me to pass on a hello from her to Niall. 

"We'll miss her too, Marnie. And you." Harry told me sincerely. "You two have become a big part of our life now, that's not something we're going to forget easily I can assure you." My heart swelled and I found myself grinning in a now empty room.