CHAPTER NINE - The Black Balete of Banahaw

I didn't listen very much at Maria Makiling's direction. The first thing she said to us was to get in a mountain in Bicol Region, where one of the famous darkness god had dwell million years ago. I didn't know why she would send us in a mountain and how would our ascend there going to be a world-saving Task, but I felt like there was no way for me to refuse so I would have to do what she wanted. The next things she said was as blur as smoked glass to me. I didn't listen anymore because I knew that the purpose of this thing was just to junk us all.

We were given nothing but one claypot. No one from us complaint, after all, the Task should test our strength and power. I felt shiver thinking how in the world were we going to have power and strength. We were thirteen-years old kids given a job to go in a mountain.

Sigbins took us away from the Entries, to the boundary of Demigod Village and the mortal-visible part of Mt. Banahaw. There was nothing different there, only the feeling of danger that came after we passed by the headstone that says "YOU ARE LEAVING DM". The sigbins quickly turned their back as if the sight of us going out of the village's edge was deadly.

"So what are we going to do?" Ayase asked with a weak voice.

"We need a leader." Nicole suggested as she looked at everybody. "Barry is the best choice for me."

"I don't think so." En's lips pouted. "Ever since I came in the Village, Barry always instruct us, always say what we should do. I'm tired of him."

"Don't you say you're suggesting yourself." Logan laughed.

En pulled the collar of Logan's polo and he aimed his fist.

"Stop it!" Emma yelled. "For heaven's sake, En, stop being such a war freak. We may get killed anytime through our Task. Don't be one of the causes of it."

En dropped Logan's collar. Logan gave a menacing smile.

"Alright, Barry, do you agree? You will be our leader." Emma looked at the claypot Barry was carrying.

"It's okay."

"Where are we going now?" May asked, her little pet was hanging on her shoulder.

"Find the Black Balete of Banahaw." Barry said, full of worries. "The most dangerous magical tree that Sitan have made."

I didn't have the slightest idea who was Sitan. No one explained about him and instead Barry led us towards a way downward.

"Is it safe to start walking now? Aren't we going to wait for the night?" I heard Emma saying behind my back. I was on the third from the the first which was Barry.

"We need to look for creatures." Barry answered in a loud enough voice. "Gnomes, dwarves or anything that is not ordinary."

I felt useless. I didn't have any idea what are we going to do in the next hours. We've been walking like forever as the sun was greeting us with its hot breath. It was kind of funny that even though some of my companions were complaining how the sun's heat hurt their skins, I was enjoying its warm as if I was being touched by a soft hand.