CHAPTER THIRTEEN - Aswang's Throne

The swooping sound from the bottom appeared to be made not by Emma, but a monster we met before, the marcupo. From the edge of the cliff, it was rising slowly and we instantly noticed Emma coiled by its scaly body. The marcupo carefully put Emma down on the ground. We were already at the flat top, and Aswang's Throne was just a few meters away, located in a floating lot. The only way to get there was a feet-wide bridge made of black stones.

"Good boy!" Emma praised the giant snake which made it to hiss gleefully.

"Just as I thought she is!" May said to Barry and me. "Come on, look ahead! We're almost there."

May grabbed my right arm. She was almost dragging me.

"So this is it? The onw you've been telling me?" Barry said to May. I had no idea what the thing was all about.

"Yes, it is. After knowing that Jimuel is Apollo's son, my belief get strong that one of us is the thief." May explained.

"Emma is the thief?" I was shock, though I shouldn't be because Emma actually unfolded herself now.

"We're not going to get the thing we need here if no one of us is a 'light'. Apollo is also god of light. You will understand once we get to Aswang's throne." May said between gaspings.

Behind us, I could hear Emma's footsteps. She was not hurrying, she's taking her time. I even heard her shouting at us, asking if we're already at the throne. We didn't answer her. We just quickened our paces and when we reach the tip of the stone bridge, May said to me, "It's you who have to walk there."

I looked at her with disbelief. I looked at the stone bridge. Just a wrong steps or a little shake, I would be falling to my death. "Are you serious?" I said with scowling. "Why can't we go there? The three of us?"

"Jimuel, it is Aswang's Throne. Aswang is the Bicolano god of Underworld. When he was still here, the whole place was covered in darkness, that's why he attempted to steal the fire in Mt. Mayon. It has become a legend that whenever someone step on the place where the throne is located, he or she will be covered in darkness. Only special human, or demigod, can get to the throne. A demigod who is a son of Sun god, someone who is born with brightness. That brightness flows in your vein, your blood." May said.

I'm still not convinced. "But why can't you go there? What will happen if you come with me?"

"We'll die." May answered casually. "Even though Barry is a son of an underworld god, Aswang's darkness will eat him as well as me. The only thing darkness can't swallow is the light. You need to go."

I shook my head. I felt Barry touched my shoulder. "Come on, Jimuel. You need to get whatever is that thing you can find at the throne."

I saw Emma coming closer to us. I quickly nodded at Barry and May.

I stared at the narrow stone bridge. There's nothing to hold on, I need to balance myself. I walked closely to the tip of the bridge and touched its surface. It's not slippery or smooth. I sighed in relief. I started walking sideways. I looked only at the bridge, but I couldn't help myself from getting groggy. I felt my head becoming heavy. I paused and looked back at Barry and May. I was shocked to see Emma already standing behind Barry. The two didn't notice her because they were watching me. I looked back at the bridge and I caught a glimpse of the darkness underneath. I felt nauseous, I touched my stomach and pressed it hard. I continued walking sideways until I am halfway. The bridge became narrower than the firsts. I get down on my right knee and started crawling. I smelt the mold from the stones and it was tickling my nose. I heard May and Barry cheering for me. I was almost there.