What You'll Do For The Groom

My hands were sweating. My heart was pounding. I felt sick to my stomach. I was blinking more than normal. And my breathing was short then fast.

Nerves. I was freaking out.

Leaning over the sink in the bathroom of the tall, white church. Where the terrible thing I was about to do was going to happen.

How was I even going to do this? I can't just start ranting about how...I object? ...But, I can't let this happen. This can't happen. If it does, I'll regret it for the rest of my life.

Not like I will, if I go through with it.

I was wearing a short, purple, lacy dress. And my blonde curls were laying on my shoulder. The small, cheap, diamond ring, that he said was 'Nothing', but still meant everything to me, lay on my ring finger. Even though he bought it out of a machine for a quarter, I still looked at it like it was worth more than all the money in the world.

Why he was going through with this, I don't know. His parents, and...her parents, set this up. Knowing I'd be hurt. Knowing I'd be in so much pain, that I couldn't take it. Couldn't bare it.

Sometimes I wonder if he knew... Knew that his parents loathed me. Would gladly push me down a well, and leave me to drown.

I swallowed, and leaned my hands on the edge of the sink. Deciding on whether to throw up. My make-up had been perfected. Never looked better. And if I threw up, my face would drain. I'd look terrible. And I was here to leave an impression. To try one last time.

To get Wesley Fisher to realize what he's getting himself into.

I wasn't going for dramatic, desperate girl, here. I was going for determined, in love girl, who didn't wanna give up the one she loved to some girl who'd rather spend all his money than help raise his children.

I couldn't picture him having children with anyone but me. The thought made me sick.

There was a knock at the door. My heart beat sped up even faster. I glanced one last time in the mirror. I looked fine. Good enough. My nerves didn't do much but make me sweat a little.

I opened the door to reveal my mother, who had no idea what was about to take place, but knew I was in love with the groom.

The man marrying the girl who hated everyone and everything. Who was only marrying him for his money.

"Natalie...there you are, sweetheart. They're about to start." She had a sad look in her eyes. Something told me she knew the next hour was going to be remembered. One way or the other.

I couldn't look her in the eyes, though. Not without convincing myself that this was wrong. That I shouldn't have even come, because this was a mistake. His parents invited me. Because they just couldn't wait to watch me suffer. Couldn't wait to watch the girl who was desperately in love with their son, burst into tears and have her heart ripped out, slowly and painfully.

I wonder if he knew I was coming...

I stepped out of the bathroom, my momma pat my shoulder, "we can leave. You know you didn't have to come."

I swallowed again, fighting back more tears that threatened to spill all over my face, "No...I think this might help. To-"

She pulled me into a hug, "Natalie...sweetie, this must be so hard."

I clenched my teeth, I wasn't gonna cry, "mom, it's fine. They're about to start."

We made our way to the church, and instead of sitting in a pew, I stood frozen at the doorway. There, at the front of the church, was the man I loved. In a tuxedo, his hair perfect, and the most played smile he'd ever made. Talking to the best man, the brides brother. A stuck-up blonde. It wasn't until we locked eyes that I knew thatwhat I was doing was for good reason.