10. Black Hole Formation

There are three types of black holes - stellar black holes, supermassive black holes and intermediate black holes. All three have different formations process. 

1. Stellar Black Holes - 

When a star burns all its fuel, it collapses due to its own gravity. If the star's mass is small, say up to three times of the sun's mass, star after collapse becomes a neutron star or a dwarf star. When a massive star collapses, it becomes the stellar Black Hole. These black holes are small but dense. Due to this high density, the gravitational pull on surrounding dust and gas particles is too high and it attracts them thus growing in size. 

2.  Supermassive black holes - 

These are millions or billions of times the mass of the sun but having the radius similar to that of the Earth. These are predicted to lie at the center of every galaxy, including ours. Their formation is not known yet but once formed, they collect dust and gas. As these are plenty in number at the center of the galaxy, they further grow into enormous sizes. 

Predictions for its formation - 

Supermassive black holes may be, 

i) the result of hundreds or thousands of tiny black holes that merge together. 

ii) Large gas clouds could also be responsible, collapsing together and rapidly accreting mass. 

iii) Due to the collapse of a stellar cluster, a group of stars all falling together.

3. Intermediate black holes 

Black Holes of intermediate sizes. They are thought to be formed when stars in a cluster collide in a chain reaction. Several such black holes could fall together at the center of the galaxy and could form a supermassive black hole. 

According to Tim Roberts, of the University of Durham in the United Kingdom, "Astronomers have been looking very hard for these medium-sized black holes. There have been hints that they exist, but these Intermediate Black Holes have been acting like a long-lost relative that isn't interested in being found."

Source - https://www.space.com/15421-black-holes-facts-formation-discovery-sdcmp.html