Chapter 9

Opening the door I am immediately met with a rush in my chest.

    Sayori is nothing more than a bundled blanket burrito on her bed. I let out the loudest sigh I thought I could ever give.

    Sayori immediately then realizes I am there along with Natsuki and Yuri as she perks up and stares wildly. Ripping out her headphones she lets out a sniffle.

    I run to Sayori quickly, wrapping her in my arms. She makes a small little gasp, definitely not expecting any of this.

    "W-what are you doing?" She inquires as I pull away. Oh god, she had been crying! Her eyes were red and bloodshot, she looked as though she hadn't slept in years. Her hair was scruffy and unbrushed. She was wearing a button up not completely buttoned up, showing a bit of her shoulder along with bright red shorts. I let myself make a small strangled laugh.

    "Making sure you're okay, dummy. You really worried us," I said. Yuri kneeled beside Sayori's bed and Natsuki followed.

    "Sayori, we can't help but to worry for you. I know you may not want our affection, but clearly you need someone to lean on. We are here for you with open hearts and arms." I blinked at Yuri, when was she this good at speaking? Well, whenever she talked about books she was able to hold a conversation for a while without stuttering. I guess Yuri was always just good at talking about emotions.

    "Yea, we're here for you n' stuff." I laughed inwardly as Natsuki quietly made an awkward response.

"Guys p-please," Sayori's voice was shaky. "Why are you doing this?"

"Sayori, please," Yuri sighed as she sat down next to her on the bed. Playing with her hair for a small bit she regained confidence and spoke again. "I know you have depression. The others may not, but I do."

"What?" Both Natsuki, Sayori and I all said in unison. Sayori gripped the fabric at Yuri's arm.

"How did you know?" Sayori whispered softly, tears pricking at her eyes. Wait what? Sayori has depression? How had I not known before?

Yuri looked uncomfortable as she gazed at the ground. "The signs were all there Sayori. You sleeping in or not sleeping at all, the hazy look in your eyes when you thought no one was looking, the way sometimes you felt a bit off but immediately changed when someone asked what was wrong."

My throat felt dry as the air felt heavy.

"I'm sorry," Sayori started but broke down. Hot tears streamed down her already red cheeks. "I'm sorry I never told you guys."

"It is quite alright Sayori," Yuri soothingly cooed, patting Sayori on the back softly. "I understand why you would do that. You just wanted to be happy go lucky Sayori, right? You probably didn't want to bother us with your emotions. It is alright Sayori, we are here for you."

I was shocked at Yuri's response. She seemed so different, totally caring as she held her arm out to pat Sayori.

I didn't know what else to do but take Sayori and smother her with a huge hug.

"Sayori, you didn't have to hide this from us! You know that we would help you, right? I-We all love you so much." I felt her softly push me away.

"That's the thing," Sayori sniffled. "I don't want your help. I don't deserve it." My heart shattered into small pieces at her voice.

"You dummy," Natsuki sat up and sat on the bed next to Yuri. "You deserve the world! You're Sayori! Bright Sayori who can make anyone smile!"

"I can't make myself smile though," Sayori faltered and drew a blanket over her knees. "The world wants nothing more than to beat me down and kill me."