Crumbling Time (Chap. 6)

Start from the beginning

I smiled. "Thanks. So am I."

He chuckled. "I would think so." He glanced back at the road. "Um...what did you think of the English homework?"

I laughed. We had had to analyze one of Shakespeare's poems. "It was annoying. That guy had so many issues it's hard to figure out which one he's talking about."

Cam grinned. "That's what I thought."

"Why do we even need to learn how to analyze a poem anyway? What if we all become, I don't know...dentists, what are we going to need poems for?" I hoped he didn't think I was babbling when I was really trying to show him my wit.

He nodded. "Good point. We should bring that up in class."

"You can. I'm not going to risk getting a detention."

He began to drum his fingers on the steering wheel. "We can leave the arguing up to Trisha then."

"Deal." I stuck my hand out.

Without taking his gaze off the road, he gripped my hand with one of his and we shook on it. He held my hand for a little longer than was really necessary, but I didn't mind.

We pulled into the school's parking lot about five minutes later, and Cam got one of the first parking spaces in the lot. I knew that was only because he was a jock, and everyone respected him, but for some reason just being in a car with one of those-even if he didn't act like everyone else-it nagged at me.

I must've showed some of that in my expression, because he noticed something. "You okay?" he asked.

I nodded. "Yeah." I opened my door and got out of the truck, slinging my backpack over my shoulder.

Cam walked beside me as we headed to our classroom. We were silent, and I didn't really know what we could talk about. I guessed I could get away with being silent because it was so early in the morning.

Cam didn't go through the trouble to sit next to me in class, which was good. As we had entered the classroom, he had asked me again three more times if I really did feel alright. I didn't know why he wouldn't take "yes" as an answer-did he really want me to be hurt or something?-but he wouldn't let up. It was nice of him to be concerned, but no need for the twenty questions.

Although, compared to what Daphne put me through at lunch, I would've given anything to have Cam ask me of my well being again.

"What happened?" she asked immediately.

I rolled my eyes. "Nothing."

"That's not possible. 'Cam' and 'nothing' don't go in the same sentence."

"I didn't put them in the same sentence."

"You know what I mean."

I suppressed a groan. "He just wanted to give me a ride so he could see how I was doing."

"Why? Did something happen between you two that you didn't tell me about?"

"No. We just hung out over the weekend-"

"What? You never told me that."

"Because it was no big deal. I saw him at the park and we got to talking. And then...he walked me home...I tripped...and scraped my knee. It was bleeding pretty badly. That's all he wanted to ask me about."

"Oh." She sounded disappointed.

I prayed she wouldn't ask about the scrape, because I wouldn't be able to show her. There was nothing there but perfect, unscathed skin.

But she never asked. Instead, "What did you guys talk about the whole ride here?"

"Not much. After he asked me if I was okay, we were quiet."

She shook her head. "Well, that's not much of a story...but I think he likes you." A grin slowly spread across her face.

"Yeah, right. And I'm Madonna." It was the only person I could think of on the spot.

"Seriously. He hangs with you a lot now. I won't be surprised if he asks you out soon."

If only I could tell her the real reason he was talking to me now. "Sure. If it makes you happy, keep thinking that. But be sure to tell me when your rocket ship lands back on earth."

She laughed, and then sighed dramatically. "If only I could show the error of your ways."

"Good luck with that."

She sighed again...but then she brightened, sitting up straighter than I've ever seen her do before. "Do you like him?"

I stared at her suspiciously. "Why?"

"Just tell me."

I looked down at my sandwich and tore off a small bite-size piece. "Yeah...I think I do."

"Yes! The feeling's mutual then-go ask him out."

I stared up at her in horror. "No way! He never dates!" And I wasn't about to make a fool of myself and ruin the friendship we had just gotten started only a few weeks ago.

"So? Maybe he'll make an exception for you."

"He didn't even say yes to Trisha." We both knew how weak of an argument that was, but it was the only thing I had.

"And what does she have that you don't? Meanness. He'll definitely go for that."

I shook my head. "This conversation is so over." I stuffed my piece of sandwich into my mouth for emphasis.

"For now," Daphne said.

I grinned with my mouth closed as I chewed.

On the way home from school, Daphne had the good sense to not talk about mine and Cam's-possible-feelings for each other. But unfortunately that gave me time to think about that. I was debating whether or not it would really be so bad if I asked him out-or if it was so preposterous that he could like me back.

For the first part, the only thing that would be hurt by rejection would be my pride, which had already been beaten down by Trisha and her people...so that wasn't a big deal. As for the second part, it could be possible that he liked me, considering he just didn't date because of his schedule. That had to mean that he was like any other male: enjoyed sports, video games, girls, etcetera. The only problem was my freak-ness, but Cam knew about my power and that was one reason why I was a freak-I distanced myself from people because of it.

That still left me confused though, so once I got home, I said goodbye to Daphne, went into my house, and pushed away all thoughts of boys except for Abraham Lincoln, who I was learning about during our Civil War unit.