Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Nicole

My bones were chattering as I woke up, before even the sun. I tried to breathe through the panic. I wasn't sad or angry—I was just scared. I hadn't taken any time at all to just process the truth of what was happening.

I slipped from the bed—I was staying in a spare room, instead of with Chase for tonight—and leaned against the dresser, staring at myself in the mirror. My hair had grown out tremendously during this time. How long had it been? Two months? Three tops.

I shook my head. That felt impossible. Eighteen years old and I was getting married. I'd been kidnapped and wrecked. I'd been turned upside-down. But here I stand. Alive and in love.

I missed the blonde, but I had to admit the brown worked for me. It gave me a harder edge and darkened my eyes. I smiled at myself, lines creasing my cheeks. I sighed deeply.

Luna, Chase's voice rang through my mind. You're awake?

We're not supposed to talk until the alter, I replied. Hannah's orders.

You're supposed sleep until seven, he said. It's four.

I rolled my eyes. You're one to talk—think?

What are you thinking about?

Us, I replied. It's only been three months. So much has happened—it's at least a year's worth of shit all piled into a few months. That's absurd.

That's werewolves for you, he said. No cold feet, right?

Of course not. I don't think Chase would let me back out now. I just can't believe it. I'm happy we're finally here though.

It is refreshing. To finally be able to settle. To breathe.

We stayed silent for a moment. Taking in the truth of what happened and was still happening.

I'll see you later, love, he finally said. I knew he was going back to sleep.

Being able to speak to each other with just our thoughts was somehow normal to me now, but there was still something almost invasive about the idea of him knowing when I'm awake or open to him. I had a lot to learn. I was grateful to know enough to block him, sometimes the only person who needs to be in your thoughts is you.

The energy flowing through my body wouldn't let me go back to sleep, so instead I walked to the desk. I needed to get some things off my chest.

Dear Natalie,

We've been friends for ages—wasn't it kindergarten when we met? I remember you taking my drawing, squirting glue all over, and dumping purple glitter over top of it. I thought you were nefarious—I was right, you are evil. But you're the best kind of evil in the world. You've always been there to speak up for me and snap me out of idiocy. I'm surprised you let me run off with a werewolf. I guess you did manage to snag your own—was that your plan?

I'm derailing. I love you, Nat. You are so much stronger than me. It's four in the morning and I'm feeling sentimental, what can I say? Thank you for caring about me all this time and putting up with this insane rollercoaster we've been on these past few months. I owe you so much and I am so grateful for your love.

No I'm not dying or leaving or anything. But I feel like it's important to tell you this now, and I think we'd both be teary-eyed messes if I said it in person. So there it is. There's obviously more but I have to save that for the death-bed—or your wedding, I suppose.

Love,

Nicole

I looked over the letter and couldn't help the chuckle. There was something cheesy about writing my friends letters the day of my wedding. But after everything it felt important to document my love for them.

Lisa,

Thank you for always being there to help me clean up Natalie's slip-ups. You've helped me dry my tears while she beats up everyone, and I appreciate it endlessly. With everything changing, I want to remind you that I love you and you'll always be one of my favorite people on this earth. (Even ahead of Chase, but don't tell him that.) It's weird because I always feel like I've known you the exact same amount of time as Nat. Though I suppose a couple years doesn't make any difference after you've known someone for ten years.

I could never trust anyone more than you. All of the things we've been through and all the things you know about me—you could kill me with the dirt you have. But instead, you keep it locked in a box in your mind and never clue anyone in on my dirty secrets. I don't think there is a speck of dirt to be seen in your life. You're an angel. I can't wait to see you live your dreams.

Love,

Nicole

I took each letter and folded them as neatly as I could. I scrawled each name on the outside. "To be read after the wedding," I added, smaller. I didn't know where Chase and I would go afterward. But I figured there was a possible honeymoon in the cards. I definitely didn't want to be there for their tears when they opened these. I couldn't handle watching them cry. Even if they were happy tears.

*

It was seven on the dot when Hannah burst into my room. In her hands was a wide silver tray filled with food: eggs, bacon, a muffin, orange juice, and coffee.

"You're awake," she said, a slight pout to her lips.

"Shouldn't you be jumping in joy over my punctuality?" I asked.

I'd spent the time with my nose in a book; I did manage to doze off briefly for an hour. 

"I was hoping to wake you with a 'happy wedding day.'" She added a sing-song tone with the final phrase. "It's a big deal!" She walked the tray over to the desk, her eyes catching on the letters.

"Can you give those to Nat and Lisa after the wedding?" I asked, walking to her.

"Of course," she grinned. "Can I read them?"

I let out a laugh. "I suppose you can, if you want. Just don't spill it to them."

Hannah tucked the letters into her blazer. She wore a purple button-up dress shirt, black dress pants, and a black blazer.

"There's no reason not to look presentable all day," she said, noticing my stare. "I will be changing into a dress later on."

The rest of the morning was spent eating, hairstyling, doing my makeup, and dressing me. Hannah gave me a once-over lesson on walking down the aisle—as though it was a choreographed dance. Lisa and Natalie swam in and out of the room throughout the day, also helping with the boys—making sure they were on time.

When the clock struck three I felt my heart speed up.

"It's time!" Hannah cheered. She ushered me from the room and down the stairs. "I can't

believe it's finally happening." She smoothed out her dark blue dress and looked me over once. "You're perfect. So, so perfect."

I hugged her, much to her surprise. "Thank you for everything, Hannah."

At the back door, Natalie, Lisa, Jonathan, Mack, and Derek. Lisa quickly dabbed at the corner of her eye and straightened her stance, a smile growing wide on her face.

"You're so beautiful!" she gushed, rushing forward to hug me.

Natalie moved with her, both of them enveloping me in a hug. "I can't believe this is happening."

"Gush after," Hannah said, fighting tears of her own. "We've got a wedding to start. Chase is waiting. Let's go."

Out first went Hannah and Derek, followed by Natalie and Jonathan, and Lisa and Mack. Then it was me, standing alone before the aisle. The white runner was sprinkled with petals and it occurred to me that I couldn't remember who the flower girl was. I took a deep breath, set my shoulders, and stepped out under the shining sun.